1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Model-12 in .410 ga. sighted at gunshow

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kirbythegunsmith, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

Stopped at the local collector gun show earlier and saw the second specimen I've seen of a .410 Model-12. Was told that the serial number placed production around 1931. Got to handle it a little, too.

This one was marked CYL and had a solid rib, plus under the serial # was marked as experimental 1 of 4, the #2 example. Had a bolt face narrower than a 28 ga. bolt and what had to be custom extractors, as well as a small ga. magazine tube with an internal feed sleeve and shell follower to match.

The ejector looked to be very similar to others that had been slightly altered/polished/filed. The barrel band had similar outer contours of a small ga., but an inner bore of lesser diameter to match the barrel outer diameter that was not as large as a 28 ga. Did have a definitely thick muzzle wall.

Wish I had a camera at the time, but did get the info. from the owner, a former gun shop proprietor from IL.

I may see if I can get pictures of that later for proof of the latest UFO (unbelievable firearm observation)- except the gun show has signs that NO CAMERAS PERMITTED or something about no photography- gotta keep those rifraff newscasters at bay somehow.

Kirby

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Price?

3. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Kirby,

I don't believe it was a Model 12. Looks like one, but is a Model 42. Evidently there is no such thing as a Model 12 .410. I thought we had one in the family too, but was proven wrong.

LWL

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I think he is well awre of that. He is talking about an actual model 12 that was customised or custom made in .410. Jeff

5. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Sweet, would love to see one! work on those pics! thanks for sharing.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've seen and handled this gun. The gun store operator in Edwardsville, Ill owned it when I saw it (I live there too. It is not a 42. I posted this here a couple of times and most did not believe it. That's OK. I would have bought it then but the asking price was $25,000. It's a plane Jane and like above said the barrel is more like a 28g. in it's OD at the muzzle but .410 full choke.

Comes apart the same as any model 12. I'd say the dimensions of the receiver would have been the same as 28g. The chamber ring is not blued and that is all that distinguishes it from any other Mod. 12. I wish I had an extra 25 grand. It would be mine.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Possible Purbaugh conversion ? Jeff

8. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

there is supposed to be a man in ok city made a few of these. i would check with felix bedlan or don combs or someone in their league before i shelled out 25 grand for what is probably not an authentic winchester gun.dwain

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not a Purbaugh. All stampings except the "exp. 1 of 4" appear to be correct. The unblued chamber ring is suspect. Might be a fake, but I don't think so. It might be an "escapee" from the custom shop. I'm no expert on Winchesters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
winchester mod 12 410
winchester model 12 410 for sale

winchester model 12 410 value