1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Model 12 Heavy Duck Solid Rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by too fast, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. too fast

too fast TS Member

Have 1949 Winchester Model 12 Solid Rib gun in 3" Mag. How do you tell if its a heavy duck model or not? The gun is much heavier than most Model 12. What would be a fair price on this gun? It has been shot very little. 95 to 98% little to no wear in barrel and slide are of gun.

Thanks for the help. Jim

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lead in the buttstock was factory feature on most of these

Factory vent rib is very very rare and is probably the one collectable

fake vent ribs common

factory matt rib was the norm along with plain

"superspeed" is seen on at least the later ones

visually the barrel steel is thicker- there was a fear of needing more beef for the 3 inch

I have had maybe 5 in my lifetime

If there is nothing special about the one you are talking about- probably 550-600 if in fact it is that good of condition

great guns- many were converted into trap guns

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

Jim, according to the current "Blue Book" a Heavy Duck model 12 can have either a 30" or 32" barrel. A 95% gun would be worth $800 + an aditional 60% for the solid rib for a total $1,280. If it is truly a 98% gun it would be worth $925 + another 60% or $1,480. This is according to "Blue Book".

I have never seen one bring that much, nor would I expect anyone from this site to pay that much, but that is what the book says.

Steve

4. fishguts

fishguts Member

A friend just sold a M12 3" mag., 1950's gun, with a factory vent. rib in just great shape and all original....$900.00. It was on Gunbroker for about 6 weeks.

Wayne

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

A solid rib Duck gun is worth a premium and a 98 percent gun is worth 1200.00- 1500.00 dollars. I don't believe you will ever get that price on here as we are mostly a collection of bottom feeders. I would look for the right buyer by advertising in the better gun collectors sights. A dealer will always want to buy it where he can make a margin on his investment and that is ok as it is how he makes his living. I have an original 3 inch Duck gun with factory vent rib they were a special order gun and came with a donut post rib it is a 70 percent gun I wish it was a 98 percent gun but am glad just to have it. If you are willing to wait the gun should bring blue book price as they are in limited numbers and the condition is hard to find that original.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I bought one last year at Missouri Fall Hdcp w/trap wood for $450 Cash

7. B.C.

B.C. Member

sent you a pm!

8. too fast

too fast TS Member

Thanks for all the great information and I would especially like to thank Jim Shoemaker that just recently purchase one after looking for 3 years and seems to have a feel for what the market value is. Once again Jim thanks for taking the time to help. It is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Jim L Luis

9. too fast

too fast TS Member

B.C. got your private message and I'll call you later today. You have first right to purchase the gun. Thanks for your interest. Jim

10. too fast

too fast TS Member

Russ let me know if you didn't get the pictures. Thanks Jim

11. too fast

too fast TS Member

Bill did not purchase gun after all. Let me know if anyone else has a interest. Thanks Jim

12. too fast

too fast TS Member

Pat your right I did not list a price on the gun. I didn't know if it was like Old One Eye said above that this was probably not the site to list it on as there "seems to be bottom feeders" on this site only? The gun Blue Books in 95% condition for $1280. Is $1100 too high? I haven't decided what to ask for the gun. Still would like more imput. Also might consider trading for a very nice Trap Model 12 not a "Y". Thanks Jim

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

well I would turn mine loose for $1000 its 95%

14. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Would send my 32" SR down the road for 1500. 96-98% gun.

15. too fast

too fast TS Member

I will be gone fishing for 10 days or so and will get some pictures posted on this site when I get back and we'll see if we can find a good home for this old gun at a reasonable price to both the buyer and seller. Thanks Jim L Luis

16. too fast

too fast TS Member

Mike Battista I would like to appoligise for my coments about Bottom Fishing. Be assured I meant it as a joke in that I was getting ready to go Salmon Fishing and was hopping to catch more than the bottom. Mike you have my sincere appolige. Thanks Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
model 12 3 inch heavy duck

model 12 heavy duck for trap

model 12 heavy duck solid rib value

winchester model 12 32 inch matte rib barrel
winchester model 12 heavy duck 32 inch barrel

winchester model 12 heavy duck for sale

winchester model 12 heavy duck solid rib
winchester model 12 solid rib or vent rib