1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Model 12 experts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by David McMillen, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I have seen a 20ga. Winchester Model 12, but the serial no. shows MT before the no. What does this mean? Was this made in Japan after Winchester quit production? What would be something like this worth:20ga, Vent rib, 26" barrel, IC fixed choke, as new in the box.

Thanks,
    David McMillen

2. David McMillen

3. plux001

plux001 Member

Hi Dave- You can count me among the guys that shoots a Model 12 and has more than my fair share in my safe...but I'm FAR from an expert. But if I remember correctly, the Model 12's I have seen with an "MT" in the serial number all came from Japan and should be stamped accordingly on the barrel, including an indication that it was imported to New Haven, CT. I believe the "MT" run was in the early 90's and numbered only a few thousand guns. Can't be any more precise than that, as I'm a pre '64 guy. While no one else took a shot at answering you, you can be damn sure if I'm wrong in ANY detail, at least two dozen people will be quick to correct me...but I think I'm right.

Best wishes for the Holidays.

Paul

4. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Browning had copies of the 20 ga and 28 ga made in japan. Check on gunbroker to see what people are asking for these copies. There were 2 grades and some came in matched number sets....merlyn

5. David McMillen

Thanks Paul and merlyn. That is what I had suspected. I couldn't read the side of barrel from what pictures I have seen. I grew up(1960's) with pre 64 model 12's, and would like to aquire one again.

Thanks,
    David McMillen

6. plux001

plux001 Member

Dave...if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion. Buy the absolute best you can find/afford. WAIT until the right one comes along. There are a ton of cobbled-up Model 12's out there. When you come across an original gun, you will know it. I prefer the pre '64's, but if those are a bit expensive for you, buy a nice "Y" series. I really do like the "Y" series and have broken a LOT of good scores with them over the years....and the wood on them is quite nice.

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what does mt serial mean winchester model 12