1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Model 12 as first Trap Gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mimitrap, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimitrap

mimitrap TS Member

Ok I am still on the hunt for a first trap gun for a beginner shooter. What is your opinion of a Winchester Model 12 12ga made in 1972. Good or Bad please give me your opinion. And yes, this one is a trap model. The LOP would have to be shorten but other than that the gun is in excellent condition. Thank you for you comments in advance. Also what would a good like this be worth? Thank you!

Michelle

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is no such thing as a bad Model 12, just some better than others ... If they fit you they don't kick you, if not recoil could be a problem ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The perfect trap gun for beeginner to pro.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Michelle:
    The model 12 is considered to one of the best pump guns ever made. At one time the Model 12 trap gun was used by many trapshooters. If you can find one that fits you and it shoots were you look it will last you a life time.

Like any other shotgun made years ago, cost have sky rocketed over the years. My first model 12 trap gun cost me $365.00 but that was around 1970. Like any thing, people try to get as much as someone will pay for an item.

I have seen pre 64 model 12's sell for thousands of dollars and some for as little as $800.00. Remember pump guns usually have a bit more recoil to them than a semi automatic.

As good as a model 12 is, if it was me that was just starting out in this game I would purchase a break open single barrel with an adjustable stock and choke tubes like a BT99, or a Beretta semi auto with the same features.

If you are serious about this sport I would strongly consider taking lessons from one of the well known all American shooters to get you started off correctly in this game. Proper instruction will save you a lot of frustration, time and money in the long run.

Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

I

5. fenoc

fenoc Member

As the son of a guy who made 9 All American teams with a Model-12 I can tell you there is absolutely nothing wrong with shooting one. Just put a recoil reducer in it and a good pad on the stock and the gun will last forever. (Dad's main gun has easily 200,000 shells through it)

Ian Darroch

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you're really smart you'll start and finish with a Model 12. If it fits reasonably well that Y-model will be a target breaking machine. The good part of that 1972 model is they tend to shoot a bit higher than the earlier version. In fact, my K-80 was in for service last week and I pulled out my Model 12 backup. Sure drew some stares and everyone wanted to put it up and comment how nice it pointed. They are great guns!!

7. Heeringa

Heeringa Active Member

I haven't been trap shooting for very long (less than a year), but I started with a 20 gauge Model 12 simply because it was a shotgun I had access to. I'm now using a 12 gauge Model 12 Featherweight that my uncle had kept in his closet for the last 40 years, only taken out to take care of some varmints around his farm every now and then, and there seems to be absolutely nothing wrong with it. Some of the guys that I shoot with who have been shooting longer than I've been alive keep telling me I should get a real "trap" gun, but I'm not so sure I need to. As long as I can point the gun, pull the trigger, and it breaks the target, why do I need a different gun?

Several of the older guys even use a Model 12 for the 27 yard shoots. As long as you can pull the trigger and the clay breaks each time, why switch?

8. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Lots of guys and gals start with a M12 and end with it. Many times with the same gun. Like me.

9. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Michelle,
    The only drawback I think you might need to consider is weight. A model 12 is a lot of iron to swing all day. My son tried shooting my 1973 Y model 12 after his Browning BT99 and could really feel the difference. Mine is a target grinder though, and it is staying.

regards,

Todd (Illinois)

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I love he way a model 12 points but they kick like a mule.

A great way to ruin a new shooter is with recoil.

Talk about proper gun fit? I guess they don't properly fit very many people because regardless of what was in fashion 50 years ago, damn few people shoot them now. Why is that?

#1- They kick like a mule

#2- They shoot as flat as a duck gun.

Get your new shooter a trap model 1100, Beretta 303, 390, or 391. Buy a used model with an adjustable comb. This will serve your new shooter far better then an ass kicking pump gun.

I love these guns and the only reason I do not own them is recoil and having to get them to shoot high enough. Jeff

11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Have you shot one yet???

Might be a good idea to test one or a few out first.

Nothing more brutal recoil wise than a Mod. 12, (maybe an 870?), especially if it doesn't fit you.

I shoot 1 oz. loads, Monte Carlo stock with an adj. comb.

Works for me, but you be the judge.

Regards....Gerald

12. oleolliedawg

#1-they kick like a mule. Maybe at one time before the invention of Kick-eze recoil pads and adjustable stocks. I'm actually surprised at how little mine actually doesn't kick and certainly no worse than a BT-99.

#2-they shoot too flat. Not all Y-Models shoot real flat and an adjustable comb will easily correct that.

#3-they're too heavy. Nearly every other trap gun out there today weighs more. Most women learn to hate semi-autos real fast when their husband or boyfriend quit cleaning 'em and they disturb other shooters when they malfunction.

Your choice is fine!!

13. tburrey

tburrey Member

I have a 1972 Y model 12 that I've had since 1973. I put a counter coil on it (shock absorber) about ten years ago and shoot one ounce loads and recoil is not a problem. I also have a BT99 and they both shoot POI at 60/40. I've never weighed my guns but I don't notice much difference between the two. Only repair to my model 12 was a ten dollar hammer spring a couple of years ago that's it. I had my BT rebuilt last year at a cost of just under $200 bucks. Both are great guns and my scores run about the same shooting either gun. Good luck with your choice. Tom

14. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Yes, they kick..but you'll look a long way to find a gun that points as well as a Model 12. Find one that fits and you'll never part with it. New guns will come & go but the Model 12 will always remain. Like a fool, I parted with my first one but the "Y" model I have now will never leave. It shoots right where I look and never fails..Great gun to shoot doubles if you learn how to shuck it.

Big Jack

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My wife shoots a Model 12 with an Anton stock (no reducer) and has no problem with recoil but the gun was altered to fit her ... She is 5'2" and probably 135#, maybe more being as its after the treatments for breast cancer, but still not a big woman ... If its fits you will not have a problem, if not you definately will with recoil ... I don't have any 2 3/4 dram shells so she shoots what I shoot ... No Problem .... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. Heeringa

Heeringa Active Member

To the guy that said they shoot as flat as a duck gun: Well, yeah. That's what they were for 60 years.

Heeringa

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I developed my first and only flinch with a Model 12.

18. oleolliedawg

I also remember my first flinch with a Model 12. I'd say around 1970 on a #2 post target to the right. That's why they make release triggers!!

19. mimitrap

mimitrap TS Member

Thanks so much for all the comments! Hearing good and bad things really help me make an informed decision. I thank each and everyone who has helped me so for. Michelle

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

They are fine guns. Depends on the condition and fit. They do wear out; make sure yours is tight. Local gunsmiths that work on Model 12's are out there, but not as much anymore. You may have to ship gun off to an expert for routine to major maintainence.

Also, I feel that a pump gun is a natural way to operate a gun on the trapline; less fatigue than with a break open gun in my opinion. But...pump guns can be a "pain" when they set off the voice release when racked closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

first year model 12

how good is a model 12 pump

is a model 12 a good trap gun

used model 12 trap winchester

winchester trap pump gun good or bad