1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester model 101 trap gun value?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Al, was this gun a combo? Does it have a bottom firing pin? What choke does it have? Some pics would help. You could look up 101's on GunBrokers, and Guns America to get some ideas. BTW, the one I had kicked like a mule. Wayne

2. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I am no help on the value but I had one @ in standard grade skeet, and a Diamond grade trap, both should have been called Mule Grade as they kicked like one. Another Wayne

3. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

WIth all due respect, let's discuss the 101 Mule moniker. I have a 101 Pigeon with 32" tubes that I bought in 1976, while still in college. I have a bad shoulder from many years of baseball.

Yes, this gun, or any gun can kick - but I had a recoil reducer installed, softer pad, made a few other modifications (porting, forcing cone) and when I shoot it, I use 1 oz loads. I can shoot it all day in a tee shirt with no (felt) recoil problems.

gun fit * load * modifications are all important - a gun by itself does not kick until it gets shot & kicks a body that may not fit the gun.

js in PA

4. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Other than the fact that my 101 is 7 1/2 pounds as opposed to to my other
    8-9 pound guns, I don't see why everyone says that 101's kick.

Put some weight in the stock or shoot 1oz loads.

I remember when everyone said a .44 magnum was a real kicker. I guess if you want to believe something, you will.

Jack, I have the same gun that you do. I consider it one of the nicest shotguns ever. I can't imagine what they would charge for one today. I am pretty sure the engraving was all done by hand, it sure looks like it was cut and not rolled.

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree that 101s with stock dimensions that don't fit the shooter or are shot by shooters who don't use a decent shooting form will kick a lot. (Often, the pitch on 101 stocks needs to be changed.)

Al asked what the 101 he has in mind might be worth. Anyone have an approximate value for him?

Rollin

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I have to agree - the 101 recoil is largely a myth - I shoot a lot, using 1 oz to save money, and don't believe my 101 Dia un-single kicks any more or less than a BT99. Sorry, but perceived recoil is something that can't be measured, and seems to be more of an opinion than actual fact.

A Diamond 32" should be in the neighborhood of 1,200 to 1,600 depending on condition and the patience of the seller. Monte Carlo stock and good case are real pluses....

ShotgunWorld has some knowledgeable people who can provide more accurate information.

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Be careful with this gun. Be sure and shoot it before buying at any price. The point of impact varied a great deal with these guns, as my good friend found out. I'm talking about the un-single "Diamond Grade" 101 Winchester.

He shot a demo gun at a fair where a lot of the manufacters were. He shot one there and couldn't miss with the gun. He wanted to buy one. I told him that if that gun shot where he was looking to buy THAT GUN. But no, he could buy a new gun, same model, at a wholesalers for less, which he did.

He couldn't hit anything with that gun. With a figure 8 sight picture that gun shot 24 inches high at 20 yards !!! He was finally able to trade it off to a guy that had a over/under 101 but wanted the un-single. We called that model a Buzzard grade after that.

Tom Strunk

8. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Rollin,

We would have to know what configuration and grade to make a good guess. A 60's standard grade would be $700-$1000. They only go up from there.

I find the that the guns that actually sold on gunbroker a good indication of value.

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Brent,

I am probably one of the last people to ask about gun value. I used to have a 101 but sold it when I had to stop shooting and have not kept abreast on values since that time - sorry.

Tom offers sound advice. 101s also have a tendency to be hard on ejector hammers, which I have read are becoming scarce.

The pitch on 101 stocks is also not right for many shooters, which can cause cheek slap until it is corrected.

As Wolfman suggested, a Monte Carlo stock should be a requirement for most trap shooters. I do not believe field stocks are good designs for trap shooting.

Rollin

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Check for loose vent rib. Mine was coming loose at muzzle end. May have been unique to early model 101's.

11. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I have two 101 SBT's; a 1968 vintage 32" IM, and a 1973 34" Trap full. They both shoot to identical points at 13 yds (70% above point of aim), and neither gives what would be considered objectionable recoil, given that they only weigh 7 1/2 pounds.

I immediately replaced both of the original rock-hard Winchester recoil pads with Pachmayr XLT pads, which I feel helps tame recoil on any gun.

Kiv

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I just sold a decent Pigeon Grade trap for $1,000 on GunBroker!!

13. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Good point on the ejector hammers. They are a bit of a weak point (replaced 2). However, they are readily available. I have a slightly negative slope on my monte carlo, which reduces face slap considerably. Takes about 1 hour to put in, and added a Morgon pad to adjust the gun higher for more erect shooting. I have 6 friends who shoot Win Diamond Un-Singles. We all love them, and they smoke the targets.

I have not noticed a significant difference in POI other that cannot be accounted for in varying stock dimensions.

14. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Rollin, I bought your book last year and like it. Since you may be familiar with (my)70's version 101 Pigeon, I'd ask for your thoughts.

I have two left eyed (one of them left handed) novice shooters age 19 and 22.

They have tried my 870's - would the 101 stock probably be OK for a left hander? Is it fairly neutral?

thanks,

js in PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
value of winchester 101 trap shotgun
what choke does a winchester model 101 skeet have
winchester 101 diamond grade trap unsingle
winchester 101 shotgun value
winchester 101 trap gun

winchester 101 value

winchester model 101 trap shotgun