1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Mod 88 help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

If you have a Win 88 with a checkerd stock I need some help. Is the checkered panel on the forearm the same height back to front or does it taper between the rear v notch and the front arrow? If it tapers, how high at the back and how high at the front? How many lines per inch on factory checkering? I have a photo of an orig 88 but it leaves these questions.

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

If you google Winchester Model 88 there are some images that may be of some help....the forend checkering I saw looked to have a bit if a taper back to front....

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I have a 88 but it has the basketweave checkering so that wouldn't help.

I would like to see if anyone knows how to change the safety over to left hand? Someone told me it could be done but I need some instructions. Also is there anything that can be done about the trigger, it's pretty heavy and creepy?

4. BT99

BT99 Member

To change the safety to left hand on the Win 88, put the safety in the on position. Get a hold of the safety with a pair of plier (suggest you pad them with something. While holding the safety with the pliers turn it 1/4 turn and pull it out. Suggest that you do this on a towel since the spring and plunger may fall out of the housing. After you have it out, reverse it and reinsert it it, being careful to make sure the spring and plunger are in place. You will have to compress the plunger and spring while inserting the safety. After its in, grab hold with the pliers and turn 1/4 turn back to the position was when you started.

As for the trigger pull. No much can be done and you haven't lived until you had one apart. Need slave pins to put it back together.

5. AlanM

AlanM Member

It is 1 inch at the back and 1 1/2 in the front. If I counted correctly the checkering is 9 rows per inch. Hope this helps.

6. sliverbulletexpress

Thanks Bt99 for the help, it worked.

BTW I got a surprise when I got it out, mine has checkering on it!! So much for memory. So if the OP is still needing info about the checkering pattern I can help.

This old 284 has been a deer slayer just haven't looked at it in awhile, guess it was the 100 I used to have that was basketweave.

7. sliverbulletexpress

The checkering on my forarm angles back and down at an angle in the front, at the rear it has a V with the bottom leg of the V intercepting the border coming from the front about a third of the way on the bottom of the forend. Whew that's hard to explain. Let me know if you need a pic. I made a drawing maybe that will help

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.