1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

winchester mod 50

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Did Winchester ever make a mod 50 3" mag?

2. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

I believe the correct answer is no, buy I seem to remember someone offered a 3 inch conversion back in the day!

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The Model 50 has a floating chamber so I don't see how there could possibly be a conversion to 3 inch.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's not impossible but a completely new barrel would be necessary as well as the floating chamber replaced. Unless the existing barrel could be machined for a new chamber, in which case I would want to investigate how safe it would be.

HM

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have seen a few for sale with the chambers converted to handle 3" shells one being a beautiful 20ga skeet gun. I would think it would also require a spring suitable for magnum loads.

6. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

They didn't need a new barrel just an opened up floating chamber. I had one that was done by Simmons and I swapped barrels all the time. Do to the shorter ejection port I had to pick and choose my hulls as some brands would not eject after the crimp unfolded

7. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

I have a mdl 50 chamber,marked"Simmons Gun Spec.---3"Chamber---Pat.Pending"

Tom

8. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

The Simmons conversion was left short of full hull length extension (cut into the floating chamber forcing cone section) to create a lip edge that was intended to trim a small portion of the crimp end (ideally) to enable clearance of the hull to the ejection port edge. In other words, shooting the shell was supposed to cut off a bit of the hull crimp end as a ring, so forget saving those hulls to reload.

Simplistic, maybe, but if I had been there to put some thought into that situation, I could make the system more akin to the 3" conversion of the Model-12 that culminated in the DUCK gun, where the limitations were small but still allowed many of the same parts to work in standard and MAGNUM versions, with specific parts necessarily altered for enhanced function used in the enlarged capacity.

I had been involved with some basic conversion work for the Winchester 1400 in attempts to make into a magnum, but the shortcoming was the lack of magazine space to allow it to be more than a 2-shot, so in this situation they were not destined to be offered as a "Double-Auto" MAGNUM alternate. Same situation there, if more effort had been put into the slight change to increase the magazine depth capacity, what could have been was not in the cards.

SuperX-1 conversions to 3" were less problematic and the parts were definitely up to the task of increased load, but there was some tweaking necessary that varied through the individual frames.

The belted brass hull conversion to the 1200 for military experimentation with large capacity case buckshot was another unique job that saw more of my handiwork, mainly in the conversion belt cut in the chamber and ensuring the extraction worked with a 12 ga. cartridge instead of a hull.

Kirby

9. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

Why would you ever want to convert a "great" old shotgun from 2 3/4" to 3" anyway, when you can shoot 2 3/4" shells that will perform well enough to meet the needs for hunting big birds and long range???

10. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I hunt geese 4 or 5 times a year. All pass shooting.Last year I bought a cheap(Mossberg 935)gun to shoot 3" shells.Well it kicks the **** out of me so I gave up on that idea .I have a mod.50 and was just wondering if they ever made it in 3".It is one of the softest shooting guns i have ever shot.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a Super-X 2 that is very soft shooting also.

But if you want really low recoil you have to go to the Beretta Extrema or the more expensive Benelli SBE.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.