1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Mod 12 16ga/poly choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I know of a Mod 12 in 16ga that has been in the present owner's hands since new, having won it on a punch board in 1960. He says it had the poly choke on it when he got it, and after talking with a fellow shooter at Greencastle last Sunday, learned that it was possible to get a new in the box Mod 12 with a Poly Choke from the factory. It's in wonderful condition both the wood and metal, with no marks, rust pitting or wear of any kind, anywhere, and the bore is shiny and bright. The barrel is marked "full". If my description of condition is used what would you say is present market value, if he wanted to sell it. There is no box or hanging tags/paperwork of any kind.

Thanks in advance .....mike

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

They never put poly chokes on at the factory as far as I know

The cutts they put on at the factory are on barrels with no choke markings

16 gauge with a poly choke? maybe $150 - 200 max

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Mike, Winchester offered Poly-Chokes as an extra-cost option for a time. If the gun came from the factory with the choke installed there would be no choke markings stamped on the barrel, and there would be a lug or "step" at the end of the the barrel to facilitate the installation. It is possible that the barrel was returned to the factory to have the Poly-Choke installed (you could do that) but without a receipt to prove it it is very doubtful. The most likely scenerio is that it was installed by an outside gunsmith. Going by your impartial, objective description of the condition and using my best scientific WAG (without seeing the gun) I would opine a value of around $300. Most people consider the 16ga M12 as a dog. I don't. Good luck.

4. joegriff

joegriff Member

I find it interesting that the blue book of gun values always shows the 16 ga to be worth more than the 12 ga. Never understood why!

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. Looks as if I need to make a return trip to clear up a few issues. regards .....mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.