Trapshooters Forum banner

Winchester Mdl 12 fans only

11K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  sasquach 
#1 ·
Anybody ever seen a 30 in stainless steel Mdl 12 barrel with a 2 pin vent rib and mod choke? How rare does this barrel have to be and what would it be worth?

#5 ·
See how the finish is flaking off? I've seen that on some early stainless Winchester lever action barrels. They would not take a blueing, so they were painted with a special finish, which was usually a type of black lacquer. At the time this was called "Japaning". I point this out in case anyone tries to convince you to chemically blacken it. If you restore it consult someone who knows what they are doing and can replicate the old Japaning finish.

#12 ·
Hey Roger, Remember the M12 Stlss bbl that your dad had in the shop in Redlands???? What ever happened to that? Hey check out the footage a guy shot last weekend out at Kennys on a thread here called you tube goose hunting! It was a lot of fun--wish you could have been there! Phil SImms

#14 ·
From all the research I have done I have never found a receipt from Winchester that lists a Vent rib added to a gun. I have seen quite a few from Simmons but never any proof from Winchester that they added vent ribs to guns sent back to them.

In fact any advertising related to the "Winchester Special Vent ribs" States that they WILL NOT fit one to an existing gun.

They would add a new barrel with extension with a vent rib to an existing vent rib gun.

If anyone has proof that Winchester Service Center added Vent ribs to guns sent back to them, Please post it!
Scott

#16 ·
After I bought my Special Rib 12, I asked many Win. reps. about the rib.

I have heard from many shooters that the ribs were put on by Simmons and are marked underneath.???

All I ever got from a Win. rep was.... It came from the factory that way....

There are enough stories about Model 12's one could write a book on just them.

Regards....Gerald

#17 ·
I have a build-up Model 12, in 12 ga., and the story that came with the gun was it was sent back to Winchester many, many years ago for a ventilated rib, but came back with the Simmons markings on the side of the rib.

Some research has revealed it is one of Simmons early ribs, by the words, and style of stamping from Simmons.

I can't find out too much more.

#19 ·
I have a 12 gauge, model 12 with a rib identical to a Simmons, but has no markings of any kind on the rib, and the proof marks are visible on the side as the factory rib guns are. This tells me it is a factory rib by Simmons. How rare is this? Do I have the only one?

#20 ·
That is a Winchester factory rib. At least two of the ribs that Winchester put on at the factory were ribs designed by Simmons and licensed to Winchester. According to Simmons if it says Simmons on the side, it was installed after market by them. If it doesn't say Simmons on the side, it was put on by factory, even though identical in appearance. I have a two barrel set,30 full and 26 WS1. Matching numbers. 30 full appears to be factory, 26 says Simmons. How weird is that? I sometimes think that there are no absolutes with these things.

#25 ·
If Winchester sent the barrel to the rib company and when the rib was installed it covered the proof mark. When Winchester got it back they stamped it on the left side.
If an owner /shooter sent the gun in to the rib company ,they were not marked.
So if its marked ,Winchester had it done and it is original .
If not marked ,an individual had it done after market..
This looks like an original to me.. CC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.