1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester M94AE ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Husky44, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I have an opportunity to trade one of my old dirt bikes for a Winchester M94AE 20” barreled .444 Marlin. I have an old Marlin in this caliber and love the rifle, but have heard negative reports on newer M94’s. He has coated the entire rifle with Alumihyde paint and removed the safety cross-bolt? Rifle does include a new mounted Leopold VIII 1.5X5 scope, base and rings. The values seem comparable but were wondering how durable these rifles are?
    Any opinions on the rifle in question, should I avoid this model? Thanks

Domenic

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

They are perfectly fine and durable...as a matter of fact they were built to withstand higher pressures (52Kpsi)than the 444 in a Marlin...with full power handloads this beast will kill anything that walks or crawls....bad news...that coating totally hosed the collector value as these guns were fairly valuable....you just have to decide if its worth that much too you as a very nice shooter

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah, the value is hosed alright. The dirt bike better not be worth much.

4. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Thank you for the insight into this model of rifle. I prefer natural wood and blued finished firearms; this paint was a deal breaker.
    One of my hobbies is restoring old MX dirt bikes (use to race) so instead of selling this bike I decided to advertise it for trade for items supported by the second amendment.
    I’ll just sell the bike and buy what I want now. Thanks again.

Domenic

5. Brian in Oregon

I hear ya on the natural wood and blueing. I prefer them on traditional guns. It looks like his intention was to make this an all weather gun, though, so from a hunting standpoint it would be nice for the Pacific Northwest. I'm indifferent to post-64 Model 94s. The "blueing" you mention is actually black anodizing on these guns, because the receivers cannot be blued.<br>
    <br>
    The most interesting part of this particular gun to me is the Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x scope.

6. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

IIRC, they dropped the sintered metal recievers back in the early 80s and went back to machined steel recievers. I know my .25-35 Model 94 carbine made in 2005 is steel and is blued.

94AEs are decent guns, though the rebounding hammers and triggers suck. Disabled the tang safety on my .25-35 and replaced the rebounding hammer with half cock parts from the late 70s/early 80s. Now if I could get a tall enough sight on the front for the gun to shoot flat when I push 117 gr bullets up over 2200 fps.

~Michael

7. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

What would you estimate the rifle’s value is as a shooter? Maybe I’ll counter offer the rifles owner, just thinking at this point. Thanks

Domenic

8. Brian in Oregon

PM me if you want to part with the scope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.