1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester M50 questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by almost unemployed, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

How much maintenance does a M50 require? I hear that they go "out of time"? What's that mean and is it really a problem? What should I inspect on a used gun? Better to forget the whole idea & go with an 1100?

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Not much maintenance at all other than cleaning as with any auto, and that's a pretty simple job on a 50 or 59. Timing is important because if it's grossly out of time you can crack the receiver. Timing is also simply accomplished and can be adjusted so that the empties drop almost at your feet. Timing is done by adjusting the tension on the action spring in the stock and only requires removal of the pad or buttplate. Now go buy a nice 1100 and leave the 50's for ME!!!! LOL!!!

Ken Rucker

3. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Ken just thinks he's going to get them all ;^)

Once you get the timing set (bolts rearward movement) it will stay that way a long long time. The only real pressing issue after that is slipping the barrel off and making sure the floating chamber is lubed, gas chamber in barrel is also protected from corrosion.

Service on a 50 or 59 would be minimal if a guy got these areas nitexed.

4. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

LOL!!! Hey, Steve, just because I "let" you buy that sweet Super X, don't think it's gonna be a habit!! And, Mike, I'm seriously considering your offer.....but I shoot the plain barrel FW you sent me very well as is....we don't need no stinking ribs!!!! Haven't shot the Comp yet....need to find some Cutts chokes. And, Mr. Monroe, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and snagged a primo 59 for pocket change last week.

Ken Rucker

5. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

nanny nanny boo boo! ;^)

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Speakin of premo 59s, I picked up one at a gunshow here in Tucson thats like new!! Its in better condition than any I've ever seen, used!

Ken, you get my email concerning mod.50 stock questions? Hap

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

LOL!!! Hey, Hap, sorry, been real busy, must have missed it. I'll go back and check.

Ken

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My Model 50 has a Full Choke 30" vent rib barrel and an extra plain barrel that is cut off for Skeet. I can't get the steel base cheapie shells to cycle where my brass base reloads cycle just fine. It doesn't matter cuz I only shoot Skeet once a year and only when no-one is watching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.