1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

winchester m12 duck gun-wtb-need approx value

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by canyonman, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canyonman

canyonman Member

0   0   0

I'm looking at a 1955 win m12 heavy duck 3 inch to use for waterfowl hunting
    It is 30inch barrel with .039 choke,lop of 13 5/8,bluing on barrel very good,
    bluing on receiver has some light scratches, original pad, and I think the stock has been shortened because of varnish cracking all around the pad
    I've looked at many past threads but can't get a feel for what is a fair price
    but clearly there are some real experts on here so I thought I would ask.
    Any help would be appreciated. Bill Forester
    It also has the New Special Winchester Vent Rib with donut base round posts on it.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Vent rib? very few 3 inch with vent rib- would make it a very rare gun indeed

That sounds like an aftermarket rib

Do you have pictures?

Does it have weight in the buttstock?

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. canyonman

canyonman Member

0   0   0

Gene I don't have pictures and haven't removed the butt pad, however, the barrel and receiver have the superimposed W and P inside an oval proofmarks next to the rib and in line on top of the receiver.

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

13 5/8" was correct length for this stock

5. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

0   0   0

Sounds like you've made a good find. Photos would really help. Also I hope you aren't planning to use steel shot out of this gun. I use ITX shot which is much softer, although you can use bismuth or any of the other softer tungsten based shot.

6. g7777777

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

They came with matt solid ribs

I doubt it is a factory vent rib so that makes it a 400 dollar gun if it is in 95 percent or better conditon

Its a shooter unless that is a factory vent rib then multiply by 4-5

Gene

7. canyonman

canyonman Member

0   0   0

Gene, I have checked the winchester book by Dave Riffle and it clearly lists only the plain barrel and matted rib barrel for this gun. However, when I looked in the rib section it describes this barrel configuration and proof marks as having been done at the factory. How do I find out or determine what I'm looking at? Thanks for your help. Bill

8. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

0   0   0

Simmons HAS the proof stamp and commonly re-stamps at the side of the rib after installation.

Tom

9. canyonman

canyonman Member

0   0   0

Thanks Tom for that info. There is no Simmons stamp on this rib. I checked the Winchester book again and there is a picture on page 237, at the bottom, which this barrel is an exact copy of. The single pin and proofmark are in the identical location. Could this still be an aftermarket rib like Gene says or does this nail it down? Thanks, Bill

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Winchester made some VR duck Model 12s on special order.

11. g7777777

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Bill if someone put a vent rib on a gun that had a mat rib it would look like yours

They did make some vent rib 3 inch mags - so if it is one of those its worth 1500 to 2000

I doubt that it is

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

0   0   0

I too looked at page 237, and if thats exactly like yours,
    I'd say you found one of the rare factory donut post ribs
    on a 3 inch gun. The book says it was a factory offering.
    Believe it.

13. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

0   0   0

I have a model 12 duck gun #1910142, it has a 30" plain barrel stampep for Super Speed & Super X 3 IN. LOP is 13-3/4 over original Winchester pad. The gun is in excellent plus condition overall except for a small chip in the forend. However I do have another forend that goes with the gun that is near perfect condition. I would rate the gun at 98% condition. $825.00 plus shipping.
    Jess Rodriguez 970-217-9602

14. canyonman

canyonman Member

0   0   0

I want to thank everyone for their help and input on this. The only way I can further get this checked I guess would be to have an appraiser look at the gun or possibly call Simmons and see if they can shed any light. I'll post any further developments when I get them. Again, thanks to you all. Bill

15. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

0   0   0

Bill, there is much that can be determined with some clear photos and a serial number. This is one of the best parts of Model 12 collecting-researching and validating a new gun. It's how you learn about the rarities, like factory vent ribs on duck guns, or (even better) factory engraving that can be validated. Enjoy.

16. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

0   0   0

Sounds like a factory special order gun. Up to about the mid to late '50's, you could order just about any option you wanted for a M-12, even a 34" barreled Heavy Duck in 1957. Talk about a rare gun.

Tom

17. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Here is a Duck gun with a donut post rib by simmons my question is this is a old rib and it is milled. The milling machine was a Winchester tool I was thinking they milled the rib for a special ordered gun and had Simmons install it. The thing I do not know is if Winchester ever did the donut post ribs or outsourced them. The Simmons logo is a older script the only one I have seen with this type of stamping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. g7777777

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I have had ribs like that on model 12s

good pictures

regards from Iowa

Gene

19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I love mdl 12s---Had many in my younger days including the duck gun mdl and so did all my duck hunting friends---We all gave up on them because they would
    malfunction(jam)To me there is nothing worse than a jam when the ducks are in range---If you are looking to use it as a shooter I'd make sure it will work for you---It will be great if used for collecting---I still have one just for the memories---If you note,I have a thread open now on opinions of the best Auto shotgun that functions the best---Keep this advice in mind---JMO---MYSTIC-

20. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The gun that "old one eye" pictures has an early Simmons rib. The matting on a donut post Winchester rib has a different matting pattern. Simmons did not use the Winchester matting pattern so a picture would tell the tale. It is hard to describe matting patterns over the internet. We need a picture. Later Winchester and Simmons ribs had straight lines as a matting pattern, but the Winchester donut post had a squiggly pattern. Proof marks don't tell us anything because Simmons used Winchester proof stamps when they wanted to or when requested. An original donut post vent rib magnum is a scarce Winchester, but valuable only in high condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
what does a matted rib winchester barrel look like

what is the original vent rib on a winchester m12 made in 1961 look like

winchester duck gun