1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Low Noise/Low Recoil Shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I shot a practice round last night with a guy who was using Winchester's Low Noise/Low Recoil Shells.

Sounded like he was getting a blooper every shot, but they broke the targets hard.

I was amazed.

These are spec'd at 26 grams of shot (a little less than one ounce) and 980 ft/sec muzzle velocity.

He let me try a shell. Hard to make a determination on using only one shell, but frankly, it smoked the target, and it felt like I was shooting my skeet gun with the 28 gauge tubes.

I was duly impressed.

Anybody else tried these?

2. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Heard them once a few years ago and thought they were bad reloads but the fellow shooting them wasn`t too good a shot to comment on the breaks . Nobody since has used them , I think at the time they were special order for that Sport Shop .

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I've shot a couple flats of 'em........and like you was quite impressed with their performance! Best part was the look on your squadmates faces when you beat 'em after they laff about those "bloopers" you're shootin'.

You can cook up a pretty close re-load duplicate with 7/8 oz #8, grey wads & American Select powder.

John C. Saubak

4. kofh2

kofh2 Member

Winchester has recipe of: AAHS 12 GA hull,WAA 12SL wad, Win 209 primer, 28 grams of shot, 12 gr. powder @ 980 FPS printed on on their 8# jug of AA LITE powder. *Also indicated as DUPLICATE OF FACTORY LOAD. Other recipes of course on web.

5. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

You can duplicate this load by using 12 grains of WWAA Lite powder. See Hodgdon Reloading Data Site.

I agree with you on the effectiveness of the load. A friend of mine was shooting these shells because he had shoulder surgery. He was destroying targets. I have been duplicating the load for about a year now for 16 yard targets and first shot in doubles with great success. Makes shooting a whole lot more fun. They make a great skeet load as well. Some may say you have to adjust your lead. The engineer types will probably provide data that proves that, my take, keep your eye on the target and go out and break targets.

Ron

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Ran a few boxes of these "Feather Lite" loads for the first rounds following some surgery a few years back. Exactly like has been said here already. That funny "blooper" sound, VERY LOW recoil, target breaks just fine (if YOU do YOUR part in putting the BB's in the right spot ;-) and one thing not mentioned here but it is mentioned on the box. If you are using a semi-automatic, you will have a single shot!

After I went through a flat of the "Feather Lites", I found that 1 oz. 1150 FPS reloads were well within my recoil tolerance and frankly, the recoil was so light on the "Feather Lites" that it just didn't seem "natural", so I kept with the reloads. Also the fact that I could not find these "Feather Lites" with any degree of certainty played a part in my decision. I had to look around a number of places before I found the one flat I did have for the "coming out" re-start of trap shooting.

Right now I am using 7/8 oz. at about 1200 FPS reloads only because that was the velocity rated for the only bushing I had on hand. I was using Titewad for that load and it works quite well. I have also begun using a 7/8 Oz. with Nitro 100. Again at about 1220 FPS but the Accurate book shows that this could be cut down to 1150 FPS if I purchased the smaller powder bushing needed. That would be just a bit heavier than the "Feather Lites". Both of these loads are in STS or Gun Club cases and using a Claybuster 4100-12 wad.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hodgdon does show 1oz WAA Lite loads in the Remington hull with Winchester 209 primers and WAA12SL, Remington TGT12 or Downrange XL-1 wads for 970 fps (5600 psi).

I might try loading 12.2 to 12.4 grains of WAA Lite to try to duplicate that featherlite load.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Careful Tim, somebody might have a fit because your 'forcing' them to read about that weinie load crap.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They should be called: Winchester Low Noise/Low Recoil/Low Score Shells...in my opinion.

Tron

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

These shells where KEY in getting my wife shooting. The Rem managed recoil are good also. My wife doesnt shoot a lot and still has her top score of 19 with those loads. She now has a browning gold with a stock that fits and she shootas anything I put in the tube. The lack of availability, is what got me into reloading. I know load clays 1oz at 1145fps.

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Cowboy shoots use these loads for their competitions. You can find many different loads in the reloading manuals.

12. oletymer

oletymer Member

They are ok but high winds really kill scores with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
featherlite load recipe
load data for winchester 12 ga aa shells 980fps velocity
load for win featherlite 12ga
which winchester aa for low recoil
win aa featherlite
winchester aa low recoil 12 gauge review

winchester low recoil low noise

winchester low recoil low noise target load