1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester honors Olympic shooter Kim Rhode

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Kim Rhode cemented her place in history as one of the greatest Olympians of all time by winning the gold medal in Women’s Skeet Shooting at the London Games to become the first U.S. athlete to medal in an individual sport in five consecutive Olympics dating to 1996. Rhode’s longtime sponsor, Winchester Ammunition, is honoring her success by featuring Rhode on a commemorative box of AA target loads.

Rhode now takes her place among iconic Americans John Wayne, Teddy Roosevelt and Oliver F. Winchester as the lone individuals to be featured on Winchester Ammunition boxes, an impressive achievement considering the Winchester brand dates back to 1866.

“I’m honored and humbled by the support of Winchester and excited to be on this commemorative box of AAs,” said Rhode. “It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to become an Olympic champion, and it helps when you also shoot the best ammo.”

Rhode, 33, has won three gold medals, a silver and a bronze and is the first woman with three shooting golds.

“Kim is an American hero and an inspiration to anyone with hopes and dreams,” said Brett Flaugher, Winchester Ammunition vice president of marketing and sales. “Kim’s career accomplishments are unmatched in Olympic competition and we’re proud to say that she shoots Winchester ammunition.”

The limited edition Winchester AA boxes featuring Rhode will be standard 25-round boxes of 2 3/4-inch, No. 8 shot target shells. Winchester will donate a portion of the proceeds generated by the Rhode boxes to USA Shooting. Winchester has been a sponsor of USA Shooting and the official ammunition of the USA Shooting Shotgun team since 1999.

In four years of preparation for London, Winchester supported the USA Shooting Shotgun Team with almost three million rounds of AA ammunition. To put that in perspective, 3 million rounds of AA ammunition weighs about 230,000 pounds — about the same as 60 standard-sized cars.

2. gaustin

gaustin Member

Cool, Well Deserved ............Gregg Austin

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Probably as close to a Wheaties box as a shooter will ever get.

4. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

What a great tribute to a great champion!

5. zinger

zinger Member

Way better than a Wheaties box!!! I can't wait to get mine to go along with her personalized pin!! Kudos to Kim and Winchester!!!

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Where can you buy/order it. Will it be on store shelves or special order? Can't find much more info then that article. Anyone else know? Thanks,

Wayne

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Great shooter! She deserves it! BTW She's a lot better looking than Harlan Campbell LOL--JK ! :)

8. Loyac

Loyac Member

Anyone know what make of gun she used at the Olympics? And the shells?

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Winchester 24 gram international load ---Perizza MX-12. She shoots bunker trap and skeet with the same gun but changes forend and barrels.

10. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

There is a thread or two here about Kim and her equipment used in London. It was an MX2000 with a custom stock. The MX12 is her old now backup gun. And she leaves mountains of Winchester international hulls behind when she shoots.

11. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

IMHO...The greatest shotgunner this nation has yet produced.

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Thats better then the Wheaties box.

13. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

IMHO This is not better than a Wheaties Box. Ammo boxes get her name and face out to shooters, Wheaties boxes get her name and face out to the world

14. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

I had the opportunity of briefly meeting Kim Rhode several months ago at Perazzi USA in Azusa. A very nice and genuine person. Very gracious and she put up with my questions. Lucio Sosta was repairing my gun but when Kim came into the shop he immediately put my gun aside to work on her Perazzi. Imagine that!! Kim however insisted on Lucio finishing my gun first. Very thoughful and sincere.

15. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

"Rhode now takes her place among iconic Americans John Wayne, Teddy Roosevelt and Oliver F. Winchester as the lone individuals to be featured on Winchester Ammunition boxes, an impressive achievement considering the Winchester brand dates back to 1866."

Meaning no disrespect to Kim, but not quite.
    Fred Gilbert "The Phantom of Spirit Lake", who used a L.C. Smith to win the DuPont World's Pigeon Shooting Championship in 1895 and the "E. C." Inanimate Target Championship Cup in 1896

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

new winchester aa box with kim rhode