1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Gun Club Shooter Friendly???????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ljutic78s, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic78s

Ljutic78s Member

Winchester Gun Club had to call the Federal Handicap on Friday,July 6th because of darkness,our squad got 25 targets shot and was told to shoot the rest of the 75 targets on the practice trap on Sat.July 7th.I could not be there on Sat.because of work, they refunded my Lewis money but no target money is this how most gun clubs handle a called shoot??? This fiasco involved approx.5 squads.How would your gun club handle this??? I was not the only shooter to be dissappointed in the way that the officials of the Winchester Gun Club handled this event. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks John

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

here in illinois (illinois state shoot) past practice has been if you sign up and don't get to shoot that day because of impending bad weather (it was lightening off in the far south, and I do mean far)and you can't shoot the next day, you lose your entire entry. You also get looked down on if you say anything about the decision on the weather call,or any other call the the EC makes. Call the shoot for impending weather(lightening) and all the shooters that are on the line huddle under the shade of the nearest tiny tree, waiting hopefully to resume shoot.Seems someone doesn't totally understand lightening and or their complete responsibilty to the shooting public. If you got anything back it was a better experience than that of my friend.oh yeah, I guess while I am on the box it DOES make a difference in who you are.

3. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Ljutic, I don't think darkness falls into the same catagory as does weather, you should get your target fees returned to you.

4. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

The club signed up too many shooters. Darkness came. If anything its a safety issue. Shooter should get his entry back if he can't shoot the next day.

5. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Were there no lights? I mean thats not an ideal situation...but at least everyone gets to shoot.

Forrest

6. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

They had lights for two traps only. They had 15 or 20 traps total. It's a great place to shoot but if it gets dark, there isn't much you can do.

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I heard an announcement on their PA system that said if you could not come back to shoot the (Fri) handicap on Saturday to go to the cashiers to get a refund. It's hard to offer more than that. I think all the VA people did their best cosidering the large crowd. If you wanted to see a fiasco, you should have been at NY last year. I think it was the EZ shoot when we were told to take the line in near dark conditions. No one offered any refunds or apologies there. Larry Evans

8. Chester White

Chester White Member

This shoot was run by the Virginia Trapshooting Association, not the Winchester Gun Club. The Winchester Gun Club has always been "shooter friendly."

9. vatrap

vatrap Member

First of all it was not a Winchester Gun Club decision, but a Virginia Trapshooting Association decision. It did not matter who you were, I went to the line on the last flight that finished their event along with 30 other shooters and it was just about full dark when we came off the line. About 30 shooters failed to finish, but all had at least started the event to my knowledge and were called off the line. 2 squads chose to finish on the lighted field; which left 21 people to either finish the next day or take the refund offered, 6 or 7 people took the refund and the rest finished on the practice traps on Saturday. Did we sign up too many shooters? Depends on how you look at it. Shooters held tickets without cashiering on Friday morning and I listened to a number of people in the squad line or cashiering line state the usual “I don’t want to be on the first flight out”. Friendly? Depends on your definition, we allowed everyone to signup that had driven to the shoot and paid for entry as has been a trapshooting tradition for a number of years, should we have cutoff entries and not allowed those 21 people not to participate in the state championship? Was it fair to the shooters that took the line in near darkness to allow people to shoot the next day in near perfect conditions for the same trophies? The no refund policy is pretty standard at big shoots for a number of reasons, the minute you start refunding entries it all becomes subjective, rain, darkness, high winds, I got a call from work (home, my girlfriend, etc.) and need to leave, and any other reason you can think of would start shooters asking for refunds. It is as much incumbent upon the shooter to know when they sign up if they can stay long enough to finish an event. You think people complained about shooting in the dark, the complaining would still be going on if we had cutoff entries at a certain number and ended up with 45 minutes of daylight left and left 30 to 45 shooters without an opportunity to compete. Next year we will most likely limit the number of squads on Wednesday and Friday to eliminate this problem in the future. In any case it was my decision along with the rest of the Virginia Trapshooting Association committee and if you were one of the shooters affected and still would like to discuss it further, email me off line and I’d be happy to discuss it with you.

Mike Jeter

President,

Virginia Trapshooting Association

10. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

I think the VTA did the best that anyone could do. I shot in the dark. I understood the risk of picking a late squad. I shot at my 100 targets and did NOT complain nor did I ask for a refund. There were quite a few ALL AMERICANS at the shoot that shot in the dark. not ONE of them, to my knowledge, complained. I believe that the shooters who had a problem and addressed it with the shoot managment were pleased with the compromise. First rule is the shooter should blame no one but himself. If you miss your squad, some venue's make you pay a penilty to make it up. The biggest problem our beautiful country faces to day is that no one wants to take responsibility for there actions when they can blame someone or something else.

Jeff Warren

11. atashooter

atashooter Member

Never have I been to a Winchester nor a VTA shoot that I came away unhappy. ( maybe discusted with my scores, yes ). I think they have done a fine job at this years state shoot, and yes, sometimes you get a glitch, but everything gets a glitch here and there. You learn from them and make the adjustments needed.

Rick L.

12. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

13. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.