1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Engravers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Brown, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Who were the best Winchester enrgavers?

2. max trap

max trap Member

Doug, I had a beautiful mdl 12 with grade 5 pattern. If memory serves me correctly it was done by master engraver Nick Kusmit.

3. Doug Brown

Was Nick an engraver??? I knew he worked for Winchester???

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Nick and his brother John Kusmit were Winchester engravers in the 60's/70's...maybe as early as the late 50's??

The most famous Winchester engravers are the Ulrich family....John, Gustaff, George, etc...there seemed to be a bunch of them who worked much earlier in the last century and were the source of the guns feature in Winchester's Highly Finished Arms catalog. These were lever action rifles and really began the Winchester engraving tradition.

Now, in North Carolina we have master engraver Ken Hurst. 50 years of engraving experience including being a Winchester factory engraver, owning a company that Winchester contracted to for production engraving, and now does beautiful customer engraving on all level of shotguns and selective rifles to include some very beautiful double guns being restored by some very discerning customers. Ken is a bare foot, bib overall wearing country gentleman who is superb at his craft and is a wonderful man to make your friend.

Cheers

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The Book of Winchester Engraving by Wilson gives a nice written and photograph history of the Winchester engravers. It is interesting to see how the engraving style evolved from 1870 to 1970.

Pat Ireland

6. max trap

max trap Member

Doug...There is a gentleman in Beatrice, Ne by the name of Leigh who is a expert on Winchesters and engraving. I'll try to get you his phone number so you can visit. I'll report back !!!!

7. camshaft

camshaft TS Member

John kusmit started engraving for winchester in 1937 as a apprentice of george ulrich, Not the late 50's.And i thought ken said he contracted work for winchester, that would not be considered a winchester factory engraver.A very talented engraver by the name of rudolph kornbrath was engaged by winchester in the 30's to do outside work,but he was never a actual factory winchester engraver either.Just wanted to clarify if i am mistaken let me know. thanks keith

8. Doug Brown

I have a Model 12 with Grade 5 engraving. Trying to figure out who engraved it??? I don't know much about engraving, but it doesn't look real good to me.

9. max trap

max trap Member

Doug, how about some pics of your gun. We tend to be to critical of our stuff sometimes. I'm sure we have people on ts.com who would help identify your gun and give an honest opinion of the engraving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
john ulrich engraver
nick kusmit
nick kusmit engraver
winchester engraver

winchester engravers

winchester engravers names

winchester engraving arabic
winchester gun engravers