1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester engravers question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Brown, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I've noticed that fine Winchesters engraved by Ulrich (of Winchester), bring more than those engraved by other Winchester engravers. Shouldn't all engraved Winchesters be of the same quality?

2. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Mr, Doug --- not at all. As in the art world, those most famous or more gifted always get more for their work, There is always a greater demand for their work due to the quality hense the greater price for a signed oiece. FWIW, Ken

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Isn't there a former Winchester custom engraver who is known for his great work still around and doing select jobs? Oh yes. I believe he is known as Ken Hurst, Southern Gentleman. Jake

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Isn't there a former Winchester custom engraver who is known for his great work still around and doing select jobs? Oh yes. I believe he is known as Ken Hurst, Southern Gentleman. Jake

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Doug - do not misconstrue this post to in any way contradict Ken, he is a master engraver and is right in what he says.

But there are some other reasons why, good or bad, Ulrich engraved guns are highly collectible and hence bring in high dollar.

If you research the history of Winchester guns, you will find that "Ulrich" is not a single person, its a family of people to include Herman, Leslie, John, and George. Three generations of Ulrich, I believe, had members work as engravers for Winchester. They are deeply a part of its history, they engraved many guns that were exhibition guns or historically significant presentation guns. Also, a number of patterns of engraving that we see used, such as the 12-5, were first developed by an Ulrich (I think I'm right on this). If you go back far enough, you will find the Winchester catalog of "Highly Finished Arms" with patterns developed by an Ulrich (John if I am not mistaken) for Win lever action rifles.

I have seen some Ulrich guns, remember, for the most part these were still what would be thought of at them time as production guns (even the Highly Finished guns were a catalog item although they would do whatever you wanted if you were willing to pay...that much has not changed :). Many are pretty spectacular, many are not up to the standards of what you can get today (particularly the realism and accuracy of game scene animals).

Hope this helps.

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Winchester Engraving -- by R.L. Wilson
    This book is the very heart of the legend known as Winchester. Each rifle tells its story with eloquence and old world grace: One was engraved for a general, the next, a homemaker; later, there was one for a king. Reprint of a classic. Hardbound Your Cost $125.00

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Ok, while we are on one of my favorite obsessions, I can see that Big Heap definitely gets it when it comes to Win engraving and its history and significance to those to love and collect it.

Mr. Hurst, beside being a fine gentleman of the old school, is also a superlative engraver who did quite a bit of Winchester's work himself. He is currently engraving an SX-1 for me and one of the many things we talked about in designing the engraving of the gun was to honor the tradition of Winchester engraving. Not to copy it, oh no...I personally think that what we will end up with is much nicer and more highly nuanced than say a 12-5 pattern, but it will have upland on the left and water fowl on the right as a definite nod to the later #5 shotgun patterns and the storied tradition of which they are a part(the early ones actually had that reversed).

I expect we are 4-6 months away from bluing this receiver and I will post plenty of pictures of Ken's artistry when done.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Big Heap- Please e-mail me. I am interested in the value of the original printing of Wilson's book on Winchester engraving. I have one and might be able to get a bag of shot for it.

Pat Ireland
    Phirel@AOL.com

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Isn't the Ulrich family in Connecticut? Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

engraving by leslie ulrich

herman leslie ulrich - engraver