1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Claybird Tournament

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Target13, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Target13

Target13 Active Member

While I have noticed some mention on my other post(Winchester Franchise Gun Clubs) about the old Winchester Claybird Tournament that was held yearly by the Franchise Gun Clubs, I was wondering if any of you have any information; brochures; rules etc. that were used in these events ?? If so, I'd really like to see if you could send me a copy.If I recall teams from each Franchise Club shot Trap and Skeet in teams and the top teams competed against one another for some excellent prizes - one year I believe the Finals were in the Bahamas.

In an attempt to generate interest at the Gun Club levels around the country, if we had Industry Sponsors and some nice prizes for the local; state and Regional levels plus a top Nationwide Finals event for the gun club teams, do you think shooters would participate ?? If entry levels were low in cost and the Industry offered special pricing to gun clubs willing to participate, do you think this might help local gun clubs ?? Do you think these targets would need to be registered or not ?? Of course, a very well thought out and fair set of rules would need to be established to eliminate "sandbagging" - hence, my curosity to see how the old Claybird Tourney handled this and other aspects of the tournament.

Any input or info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. We all realize how important the local gun club is and it is our hope to be able to come up with a series of ideas; promotions and/or tools to help these struggling gun clubs develop shooters and become stronger.

Phil Murray
    White Flyer Targets

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Phil,

I'm not familiar with the program, but anything that can be done to put targets in the air has to be a help.

We have a summer and winter league in the area that I live and we generally get better shooter participation than we do at registered shoots. Target fees are lower than registered and we always run with volunteer help.

The ATA has a way to register league targets at a minimal cost.

Both of our leagues have a 50 target format with 25 16 yard targets and 25 handicap targets. That works well for us as it equalizes the shooters. Unless, of course, the goal is to have a league for guys that can run 50 straight week in and week out. Doubles would also be a nice added attraction.

The main thing I would be concerned about is that the people in control will fumble the ball as we see time and time again. Companies and organizations invest significant sums of money and volunteers donate tons of hours and usually significant amounts of money. Then the financial support fails when those involved have a change of heart or change of directors, etc.

Will there be any exclusion of any potential sponsors or suppliers?

Would this program be available in Canada?

Thanks for the ongoing efforts, Phil.

Bill Malcolm

3. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Phil.I shot In the Winchester Claybird Tournamnet in Birmingham, Al. This shoot was held at the Southern Skeet and Trap club which was not a Winchester shooting center. The year was 1967 and was there for a skeet shoot and saw all the posters and stuff regarding the event. Entry was $10.00. A shooting buddy and I signed up and went back later for the one day shoot. The event was 100 skeet and 100 trap. I borrowed a full choke barrel for an 100 for the trap event, 100 from the 16 yard line. When we arrived a club member had already shot a 196. I declared I wanted to shoot trap first and if I missed 5 or more I was gonna save my shells. Was shooting Federal papers I had won from the Aberdeen Gun Club. As it turned out I luckily broke 97 at trap and was able to break 100 in skeet, all with number 9 shot. The awards were Winchester "presentation" grade 1200s and 1400s, in a nice case. The guns were fitted with very nice wood and "gold end caps, triggers, and receiver pins". I still have the gubs..unfired. I did have some paperwork on the shoot but have no idea where it is. The rules: Shooter were classified by their skeet or trap averages. I was in AA with skeet...did not shoot trap..so I was placed in class 1. There were five classes, all based on averages. There were very few other rules. Targets were not registerd. The presentation of the guns was not a big deal. The club sent in the scores to Winchester and the guns were sent to the winner's addresses. The next year, 1968, I looked hard for a club having the same shoot but did not find one. As far as I know 67 and 68 were the only 2 years the shoots were held. I never did receive and infomation about the team shoot and did not attend one. Wish I could find the printed material on the shoot but its been 42 years now. I have not seen another pair of these guns since that time.They look good with the wood, rich looking blue etc. Wish they had been A super X one and model 12. But for $10 and a 3 hour drive to Birmingham I cant compalin. The guns are promised to my oldest grandson after my last shot. Wish I had more information for you. Good to see your thread here and that someone is trying to do something to promote the shooting games. If I ever get on a tv show and the question is:"whos the last skeet shooter to win the NSSA championships with a 4 barrel set"....I will surely know the answer. Take care..shoot well..promote our games. Yo buddy.
    Gary Smith...Meridian, Ms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
winchester clay bird tournament
winchester clay bird tournament 1400
winchester clay bird tournament prizes
winchester clay tournaments

winchester clay tourney shotguns

winchester claybird tournament
winchester clays tournament