1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester Ammo plant moving to Mississippi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Winchester center-fire ammunition production moving to Mississippi:

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2010/11/illinois-loses-1000-more-union-jobs-and.html

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=210762&catid=3

Better than moving out of the country.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Better than out of Country i agree but the fine folks around the Alton and surrounding areas are taking yet another big hit in jobs. They have lost at least one steel mills that i know of back in the late 90's early 2000. I used to deliver to both the steel mill and Olin Brass. Its a shame its leaving. There is a long history in that area with Winchester.

Matt

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Chalk another on up for the unions..

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Olin Brass was sold. $140 million loss on the sale if I remember correctly.

5. kbud

kbud Member

Come one come all, time to call it a union thing as with every other thread. Can't you please be original!

6. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Why else would you move from Illinois to Mississippi?

Certainly not for the weather during August.

7. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I live in the area & have shot at the Olin facility many times. Shot league there for a couple years. It was a union thing!!!! The unions were asked to make some concessions on their contract basically but refused. Olin moved the rim fire production from the Alton plant several years ago & is now moving the center fire to the same location in Mississippi for cost reasons. As mentioned they have already sold the brass facility. Back in the 70's Olin produced clay targets in Alton also. I picked up many truck loads back then but that is gone now too. Actually, the move of the center fire production is old news around here. Colonel

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Both Mississippi and the Union/Illinois made offers. Guess, which one was acceptable?

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

For your reading pleasure.

Tuesday, November 09, 2010
    Illinois Loses 1,000 More Union Jobs, and Another Manufacturing Plant to Right-to-Work Mississippi

EAST ALTON, ILLINOIS -- "Some union workers were making plans Wednesday to hit the bricks to look for new jobs after Olin Corp. announced it will move its Winchester Centerfire Operations and 1,000 jobs from Illinois to Oxford, Miss. The company made the announcement one day after members of District 9 of the International Association of Machinists (IAM) and Aerospace Workers rejected a contract that would have frozen wages for seven years.

The company told the union leaders in August that it was considering relocating to Mississippi to make the operation more competitive. The company and union leaders negotiated a concession deal for two months.

"Our focus always has been on ensuring that we continue producing high-quality products for our customers in an increasingly competitive marketplace," said Joseph D. Rupp, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Olin Corp.

"While I am disappointed that employees represented by IAM chose to reject a proposal that would have allowed us to remain competitive in East Alton, we look forward to expanding our existing operations in Mississippi," Rupp said."

HT: Steve Bartin

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Freezing wages for seven years. That's asking for a lot considering what inflation will be if our government keeps funding trillion dollar deficits by selling it's debt to the Federal Reserve Board, which pay for that debt printing money (remember Jimmy Carter?).

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

One way to look at that though is you have 7 years to change jobs rather than to be unemployed all at once.

Lots of things can happen in those 7 years btw so not sure it is a big concession.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Mrskeet

A "frozen" wage is better than no wage. I doubt they were "frozen" at $12/hr - likely closer to $20/hr. Better to take the deal and hope to find a better job than have no job. But that means taking responsibility.

Unions can be self serving. The union bosses did not care about the 1000 jobs - they cared about setting a precedent that can hurt them in other negotiations. I have seen that happend having negoitated with auto workers.

I will still buy Winchester ammunition and hope they have more rebates with the money they have saved.

Don Verna

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Gene and Don - What you say is true. But seven years without some sort of reopener clause in case of rampant inflation makes it look like Winchester was looking for a confrontation. Then too, according to one of the business articles I found when I Googled the subject, the union/workers thought Winchester was bluffing and wouldn't move. That might not have been smart on their part considering Winchester had already moved rimfire production to Mississippi.

14. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Wonder what the Vegas odds are that they "Winchester" will move south of the border when the tax breaks/benefits run out in Mississippi..Grubby

15. cremacs

cremacs TS Member

WE can only hope not. Unions are trying to push their way into the car plants in the south now and it will be a sad day if they do. I don't think they will, but you never know.

PJ

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

I understand why the union bosses need to think about the big picture. The union employees are to blame for their fate. Why in the Wide World of Sports would they think Winchester was bluffing when rimfire production had already been moved out?

I guess some people need to be hit with a 2x4 to get their attention. They would rather believe the crap from the "business agent" who tells them a fairy tale they want to believe.

What is most astounding to me is that these people are not normally stupid. But put them in a crowd with rah-rah union bullcrappers and they stop using their brain. Crowd psychology? How can we feel sorry for them?

Don Verna

17. Don S

Don S Member

You think they might be moving because of the huge increase in corporate taxes in Illinois? Nah! Couldn't possibly be caused by the Democratic leadership.

18. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I'm afraid it is all about competition from foreign shotgun shell manufacturing companies.

It used to be only the U.S. had the ability to produce "X" number of shells per man-hour. Now, the foreign companies have the same production technology and ability. Thus, the wage scale in the U.S. is in competition with the wage scale in Italy - or where ever. Sad, but that's the way it is..... You want tariffs to protect the U.S. wage scale? Fine. Then get ready to pay $17 for a box of shells.
    Mike Durhan

19. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Made in China is were unions go.

20. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Mr. Rupp has to justify his salary, retirement and benefits package so he moves the plant south and says "look what I did"! He needs to stand at a stamping press for minimum wage for 7 years. Then tell the union to agree to his proposal.

Harry Lyga

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.