1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester AA Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Why are some two piece AA hulls marked HS and others not? Did they make some changes in manufacturing?

2. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I don't no about that but. I have problems with the silver hulls catching the rim of the wad where the two piece comes together. They turn the wad sidways in the hull. By checking the hulls after loading I find buldges on the outside of the hull. Usually just to one side. Wild Bill

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with wads because I use Winchester wads and their Downrange equivalent which are slightly smaller in diameter and do not catch on the base wad of the hull.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I got some of the first ones with the black box around the AA's that are marked 12GA on both sides of the primer. Same with the dark grey ones I have marked Handicap 2004 Vandalia.

Wayne

5. Bama73

Bama73 Member

From what I understand the 2 piece hulls not marked HS have the first generation base wad without the extra barbs to help hold it in place. I have several with the box around the AA and several too that look just like the current AAHS by the hull markings. I just put an X on the base of the non HS hulls with a black marker I have as an extra reminder to check my barrel after each shot.

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

As best as it appears there were a couple changes to the AAHS over time.

first version had the AA in the box on the tube like the old ones had, but no HS marking on the brass base

2nd variant had no box around the AA on the tube, and no marking on the brass base

3rd version, and I believe it to be the current one, has the HS stamped into the brass on the base

Several folks have indicated that perhaps there was minor changed made to the base wad at the time of each marking change.

I do not have any verified evidence to uphold those statements although the design of the base wad now does appear to be a little different and the original ones were red, the current version does not appear to have any color pigment added to them

AA's are my favorite factory load, just wish they had stuck with a one piece formed hull design.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Wild Bill, Current AA's are gray, not silver. Aren't you having trouble with the red ones also? Are you using wads meant for straight walled cases like federal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester 2 piece hulls stuck in barrel