1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 94 Info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 90Tshooter, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I picked up a Winchester 94 today and want to know if someone has some info on it. I bought it because it was a little different than the normal 94s I've seen out there. Overall it's a standard 94 Winchester in 30-30 with a 20 inch barrel with factory open sights. The difference with this one is the reciever has a case hardened finish with some engraving and a gold loading gate. It appears to be in original condition. It's also in great mechanical condition, bore is bright and action is tight as any I've handled. The wood is very plain, worn finish but not banged up, I might work on it. It doesn't have any markings of a commemerative model. I looked on the Winchester manufacturing date website and found it was made in 1967. I know it's no collectors item. I'm a shooter more than a collector and I buy guns to shoot. If anyone can shed some light on this slightly different 94 I would appreciate it. Thank You.

Joe

2. nogunracks

nogunracks TS Member

you can go to the site( winchester manufacture dates )

3. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

The only cataloged model 94 in the 1967 time frame that I know of with a case-hardened frame and gold loading gate is the Alaska Purchase Centennial.
    All serial numbers would begin with AP.

My guess is what you have is a special order done for a distributor or hardware store, much the way Davidson's does now with many guns.

a pic of the AP gun.

http://www.waffenzimmermann.ch/sites/pages/winchester/teil6/AlaskaPurchase.jpg

phil

4. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Thanks for the help guys. Phil, I found the Alaska commemerative in my early searchs and this is not it. It has no medalian in the stock or markings as an AP commemerative. I'll do some more searching. Once again, thank you.

Joe

5. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The Antique Model may be it.

The post 64 Win 94's used a steel that does not take or hold bluing, they had to IRON plate them to get the bluing to lock nice and hold up long enough to get the guns out of the gun shops.

SO when one of those guns in with a rusty receiver, you have to do something else to get it looking good again and staying looking good. Most of the ugly post 64, 94's that have gone thru my little shop have nickle plated receivers. If I was comfortable with color case and had the ovens, color case sounds like a good option, I know a smith that parkerizes them, but that is the finish he does.

Al

6. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

AJ- I found a picture of a Model 94 Antique. That's what it is. I know it's not worth anything as a collector but then I didn't pay collectors price for it. It looks neat, it's in good shape and it will be fun to shoot. Thanks for the info.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.