1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 571 Powder data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I have a pound of old Win 571 Powder. Want to load some 1 1/4 heavy LEAD.. loads, or there abouts. Turkey. Coyote, jeaslous husband, etc.

Can't find any data, any suggestions??
    Thanks

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I have an old Winchester loading manual, that I can send you some data. I can't send until later tonight, unless someone else comes on and gives you the info before I do.

3. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Jim, if you go to Hodgdon's web-site, you can get the info you need. Win 571 is the same as HS7.

David McMillen

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Jimborn:

I'm not finding any options in older Winchester manuals for 1.25 oz loads using 571. At 1.25 oz. Winchester recipes call for 473AA, 540AA or Super Field (WSF).

Data for 571 kicks in at 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 ounce loads. Be more specific about what you have in mind and we can continue.

sissy

5. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I did some testing with 571 powder that had been sitting around for 15 years. It's a dirty powder but does the job in heavy hunting loads. The following results:

1 1/4 oz load
    Fed. Gold Medal Hull
    Fed. 209 Primer
    35.5 gr. 571
    DownRange Windjammer wad (I used these in So. Dakota on a late pheasant hunt and they really did the job)
    1 1/4 oz of #5's

Ave. pressure = 10,200
    Velocity = 1322

1 3/8 oz. load with #5 shot
    Fed. Gold Medal Hull
    Winchester AA primers
    35.0 gr. 571
    DownRange AA114 wads

Ave pressures= 11860
    Ave. Velocity= 1290

I haven't seen much data on 571 but the info above came from 10 shot strings.
    Good luck

6. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

What wad for 1 3/8 with a Winchester Hull (or Federal) with the antique 571 powder? Sounds like 35 grains may not crimp the hull properly, the wad must be the secret as that amount has to take up space. They are going to start combining corn here in western Nebraska, and I want to be at the end of the rows with some Ringneck Rooster Busters. Jim Bornschlegl Mitchell, Nebraska Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
loads for buckshot for winchester 571
winchester 571
winchester 571 powder
winchester 571 powder loads

winchester 571 powder reloading data

ww 571 powder