1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

winchester 452 AA powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by petey, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petey

petey TS Member

came across a 10 # keg of 452 AA powder anyone have a good load using this
    powder?

When did they stop making this powder, was it very popular?

Pete
  2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

20 Grs. with 1 1/8 oz. shot and AA wad. Great stuff but loads dirty. I'd say it was discontinued close to 20 years ago!!
  3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It was a 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz target velocity powder 1150/1225 fps.. Often used in 12 gauge AA trap and skeet shells.. I have volumes of data for it.. Give me your hull wad and primer.. and shot weight..tell me what speed you want.. and I'll send you some data.. E-mail me directly at Perazzi@att.net All Good.. Mike
  4. Guncop

Guncop TS Member

I cut this from an old WAA12 wad box (yes a box)

Primer charge velocity pressure

WW209 22.0 1290 9900 LUPS 1oz
    WW209 19.5 1145 9400 1 1/8 oz
    WW209 20.5 1200 10100 1 1/8 oz

I have never tried these loads and they are not mine just info I kept in my notebook.

Hey Mike, I'd like those loads too if its ok? I too came across a few pounds.
    guncop@comcast.net
  5. tbuster

tbuster Member

I still have 8 pounds left that I obtained from a fellow. It is dirty but I have been using it for my first shot in doubles in 7/8 ounce load. Works fine.
  6. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Member

PBB (Mike) is probably a lot like myself, I hate to throw away any old reloading manuals, and now I know why. I have had various people offer me some of their older reloading powders, and it's nice to be able to dig out a book to be able to use it. And like a couple of people stated, 452AA is a very fine (size wise), ball powder and seem to leak like a sieve from my older MEC reloader, even with the brass washer or not. It would find its way out. And when shooting the shells, it never seemed to burn totally, left a lot of residue in the barrels, looked like someone poured sand down the barrel !!! Mike* (MH*)
  7. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Works well in 45acp with 200gr flying ashtrays. I would like to find some more 452AA as I am down to my last several pounds.

pg
  8. deercreek

deercreek Active Member

This powder always made my 870 trigger mechanisn look like it was played with at the beach. I would guess that I needed to do a complete cleaning job after 300-400 rounds or so. This is the first powder I learned to load with, and I DO NOT miss it any at all.
  9. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi TS Member

I actually liked the powder. I used to load all gauges with all Winchester components. I still have cases of WWAA wads in boxes. I did not consider it dirty. Seemed about the sames as "Clays" which I use now.
  10. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Pete, I loaded a fair bit of it on my Mec years ago...you've got most of the story already.ie-Doesn't take up much volume, leaks a bit out of loader, dirty in the barrels. I loaded 20.5gr with Win.components, 1 1/16oz #7's and loved it...one thing me and a couple of other 452AA users noted was that it was a lot harder on cases than any other powder we used...like about half as many loads before the case needed tossing. Cheers-Graham.
  11. leadvail

leadvail Member

DIRTY in 12ga. I used mine up for my .45 auto lead bullet loads and it was clean an accurate for that. Bob
  12. ysr_racer

ysr_racer TS Member

Yep, I used it in my .45 as well.

Is it safe to use after all these years?
  13. leadvail

leadvail Member

should as long as it has been stored in a cool dry climate.
  14. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Member

I just found a 12 pound keg under my bench last year, left over from about 30-35 years ago when first started reloading. I loaded it then in RXP hulls, Win 209s, 22.5 Grains, winchester wad, and 1 ounce of 7 1/2. In my old Franchi field gun it smoked targets from 16 to the clubhouse porch, and worked just as well on grouse. It was a very fast, light recoiling load, even in my lightweight field gun.
    I used up the last of the keg loading doubles loads, 1 1/8 ounce of 8s at about 1130 fps. I wish I had a few more kegs of it again.
  15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

OK..I'm only going to state loads with Winchester 209 primers.. as the CCI primer has changed.. as well as the Federal.. While I have a myrad of loads for cases no longer around.. for the Remington.. The Blue Majic hull is similar to the STS.. So.. I'll use that as a base..

1 1/8oz load.. Blue Magic hull Winchester primer. 452 powder.. WAA12 wad. 19.5 grains at 1145 fps 20 grains at 1145 with a Remington RXP wad.. 21.5 grains Rem RXP12 wad..1200 fps..

With the Winchester AA hull 1 1/8 oz Win primer AA12 wad 19.5 gr of 452aa for 1145 fps.. with20.5 grains and same wad you'll see 1200 fps..

If you need any specific hull/wad loads.. I'll look them up for you..
  16. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Member

Great stuff.It is a fine grain so it creeps around but I can deal with that.It was so creepy that a guy I know let the gears get all jammed up on a 800b and a 800c that they are both mine now!!FREE!!!THat's creepy! PJ
  17. whiz white

whiz white Perazzi Part s& Repair - P/W dealer Staff Member

I had withdrawl symptoms when Winchester ceased making this, my most favorite powder.

GREAT STUFF - wished I had it and not you! I still have a couple of favorite recipies for 16's, 27 yards, and doubles for it.

Whiz
  18. petey

petey TS Member

thanks for all the info guys,

pete
  19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The 473AA was my go to 20 gauge powder.. Shot great.. smelled awful..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.