1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 209 Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lou Tenant, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

Has anyone had any issues with Win 209 primers? I loaded some and it appears the propellent capsule is set too deep in the primer housing. I had several light strikes in a shoot today and I thought my firing pin must have broke. Several shooters looked at them and said the primers appear to be defective because the propellant capsule looks inset too deep in the primer body. The bases of the shells appear flat, so it doesn't look like a loader issue. Anyone else had any similar issues ?

Thanks

2. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Nope, and I started on 10K fresh from Winchester in August.

I get a kick from the guys who can diagnose this stuff with their micrometer fingers and microscope eyeballs.

Mike K

3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

No problem hear. I have reloaded over 50,000 of the 209 Winchester primers.
    Maybe the hulls you have been reloaded before with a larger primes and that
    Could cause the primer to go to deep. Also check your firing pin.

4. kd185

kd185 Member

no problems here
    loaded 8,000 in the last year or so and not one misfire

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I use nothing but win 209's. Never had a misfire due to ptimer problems.

6. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have not had any problems. I am an authorized Winchester unloader, send the remaining primers to me for an expert analysis at no charge except S & H. I prefer 5,000 but if have used a few I won't charge extra. I look forward to doing this for you to give you peace of mind.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Perazzi by any chance? If so, check for a cracked hammer spring back by the pin.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Likely seated too deeply, or as BMP suggests.

One "bad" primer I can see. More than one seems odd - especially with name brand primers. Not impossible, but I would look for other reasons first.

Shoot a flat of factory shells and see what happens.

Don Verna

9. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

"<I>Likely seated too deeply, or as BMP suggests."</i>

I've had one of the engineers at Alliant explain to me that light strikes and fire failures can also occur if the primer is the primer is not seated completely against the base of the hull.

He explained that some of the firing pin force will move the primer deeper into the hull base without breaking the detonator material inside the primer cup. Result: no ignition. The primer looks OK but the strike is light and the dimple is shallow.

Mike K

10. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear L.T.
    If the primer cup (in the defective part) visually appears to be deeper in the body then previously fired shells (in the same gun) the primer may be missing an anvil. Send the duds back to the manufacturer. Winchester will actually write you a letter describing the failure mode...or not!....Remember that the quality standard for primers is no more than 1 failure per 30,000 (mil. standard in the USA). So the probabilty level is very low to see more than 1 failure in several years for an average shooter. I collect these "duds", put them in my gun and they usually FIRE! But not the ones missing an anvil! The gun is most likely the culprit. A good qualified gunsmith with knowledge of your particular model should be consulted when ever you get multiple failures to fire ammo.....Respectfully submitted....Ex-Jet Boat Bill

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have never understood the "primer set too deep" stories. The brass would have to be deformed to set the primer too deep.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Add some extra headspace and you often create an issue!!

13. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

One of the engineers at Alliant once told me that a failure to fire condition can also occur if the primer is not seated deeply enough (fully, that is). Some of the energy from the firing pin strike is used up to push the primer further in (depending on how tight the primer fit is to begin with). The primer cup will be dimpled but not hit hard enough to fracture the detonating compound inside.

Mike K

14. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Check you priming station for a flat piece of shot. I have seen a flattened piece of shot, or other debris, push the priming cup into the body of the primer, so that the cup is below flush.

Michael Goines

15. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

Yes I've had a similar experience with Winchester 209 primer reloads. I had 5 misfires in one round due to primer failure.

16. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I have never had a winchester primer fail to fire and that is the only one that I load.

17. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have used about everything there is out there and the Win. 209 primer is all I use. I have never had a dud load while using them. I got a good buy on some Rem 209's and loaded them for practice and out of the first 1000 I had at least 7-10 misfires. From now on it is Win 209 and nothing else.

18. lostandout

lostandout Member

i shot them in a winchester select energy and would have one about every 5-600 it would seam as thou the top of the primer was harder than the rest i switched to them as i was punching thru cheddite primers i saw one the other day come from a krieghoff

brian

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

so, what kind of gun are we talking here, Lou?

20. AEP

AEP Member

I have had problems with the "new" Win 209. When I say new I mean primers that were purchased year before last. I still have some Win 209 primers from the mid-80's. I have never had a problem with those.

The problems I had were mis-fires. The primer was seated flat, the Win AA hull had no dish it it. Everything looked good. The gun I shot at that time was a Browning Cynergy. I would get 3 mis-fires out of 5,000.

I hate to say it but I switched to Cheddites. I have not had any problems with Cheddites.

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

209 primers detonador

winchester 209 too deep