1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 209 Primers Any Recent FTF reported?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fnj682, Aug 17, 2013.

1. fnj682

fnj682 Member

Was shooting with a friend today. In one round he had 3 failure to fires. He was using Winchester 209 primers bought about a month ago.

I must say that in my years of using Winchester 209 primers I had never had one fail. Low and behold on my next round I had one FTF from a batch that I purchased recently. Has anyone had any issues with the Winchester 209s recently?

We examined the primers and I guess what I would call the anvil section of the primers that failed to ignite were all recessed . I don't mean the whole primer was recessed but just the center section was lower that all the other primers. Was this a fluke or is there a problem with the Win 209s?

2. mark936

mark936 Member

I'm experiencing no fire/ ignition on one or two every 100--150. Fwiw

This made me realize I can't depend on them for competition-- just practice.

I bought 10,000 at a guns how in June.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

That's why I got away from Win. 25-30 years ago, have had an occasional FTF with all brands but WWs were the worst. Ross Puls

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

With Win. & Rem primer prices,I switched to Fiocchi & Federal a long time back. No FTF in last 7 years. And a whole lot cheaper.

Clyde

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Failure to find-right??

6. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

I've had one, only one, in the last 12K.

Pat

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I had a sleeve that gave me a consistent 4-5 FTF in every 100 several years ago. I went to Cheddite, and the only FTF I ever had were due to low powder charges, which were my fault. With Remington however, I have suddenly found about 1 or 2 every 100 targets. Good solid deep hits on the face of the primer, but no bang. The last time that Remington had this problem, I heard it was an anti-gun woman working in the plant who was sabotaging production. I heard they got rid of her, and everything was good, but it took a while to get their reputation back. I hope this is just an anomaly, and not a longterm problem with Remingtons.

8. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Might be time for a good cleaning of the firing pin holes in the gun, that cured the problem I had with some fed 209's, never had a problem with a win 209'Woody

9. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have shot tens of thousands of Winchester and cheddite and never had a fail to fire.
    Knock on wood

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I have never had a fail-to-fire in over 30,000 rounds using WW primers.

11. fnj682

fnj682 Member

OK gentlemen,

Let me start over. I'm not asking how many thousands or what brand you fire just recently purchased Winchester 209 primers. It's not a problem with dirty firing pins or any other malfunctions. The FTF primers were from two different purchases by two different people from different shops, fired from different guns and then tried again from another gun.

We noticed the center section of the failed primers was deeper than the other primers. I'm not talking about a seating issue of the primer but actually a construction issue of the primers.

It does appear that mark936 has experienced the same issue. I guess you pay more and get less quality control. Where are the Win 209 primers now made?

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Made in China.HMB

13. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member