1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 209 Primer Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Anybody having any quality issues with W-209 primers lately? Weak sounding shots, etc. I suspected powder was the problem initially, but now I don't think so. Just askin...

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

No problems at all with the Winchesters. I'd be looking towards something else. Poor quality or damaged wads can cause issues. Over bore barrels and cheap wads in cold weather can give grief. Too light a load and cold temps can also give trouble. Poor crimps is another thing. The list goes on. I test all of my usual loads by putting a half box in the freezer and keeping the other half at room temp. I then fire them over a pair of chronographs to see how they do. I've tested a few factory loads that way as well. The loads that do poorly are usually poor performing primers or cheaply made or poor fitting wads. Or poor powder/load selection. As a rule, the Winchesters perform well in cold weather.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Never had "that" problem with WWs, just dud primers, way too many, went to Rems. & Feds. No problems since. That was 40 yrs ago, have used a few WWs lately with no problems, most likely stay with Rems. & Feds. Ross Puls

4. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Only problem I had with Winchesters was they would sometimes come loose and drop out! I was told this was because Winchesters were made to the same tolerance as the original primers and I wasn't using a re-sizer.(MEC 650)

I switched to Federals and had no more problems. I now use a MEC Hustler/w re-sizer but just stayed with the Federals! No particular reason!

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I would have to say in the years of loading W209 I have never had a dud due to the primer.

Just like suggested improper hull seat will cause that hollow sounding shot.

What are your components? Might be using a wad made for tapered hulls or visa versa.

Bryan

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

After 15,000 W209 primers i had one primer not go off. I'd call that a good run that i'll take anyday.--Matt

7. BT-99MAX

BT-99MAX Member

I started shooting trap in 1967, but didn't keep track of the number of rounds fired until I purchased my BT-99MAX in 1999. I am nearing 95,000 rounds thru this gun and about 85,000 of those rounds has been with Winchester 209 primers. I have not had a single Winchester primer fail to go off. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I feel some of the problems might be the result of how these primers were stored both before you get them home and after you get them home.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have been using WW since I started shooting 20 years ago and never had one not go off. Jon

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

In 1999 or 2000 I has more than several Win 209 primers that failed to go off.

Was told it was a defective anvil. They gave me two $10.00 gift certificate which our manager would not accept, as she said Winchester was not paying them back.I probably still have them.

Cost me money once as failure to fire twice in one round.

At the Arkansas state shoot another shooter had a lot on the same problem.

I still shoot Winchester and always will.Ray

10. Jon Reitz

Thanks guys. The Claybuster Windjammer wads are correct for the Remington hulls and do not appear to be cocked and I've always tried to keep the shells warm in the cold weather. Typically the hulls are not loaded too many times for the reasons stated above. I will continue to watch. I just wondered if anyone was having any concerns with any Winchester 209 primers lately.

Jon Reitz

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My friend always uses Winchester 209 primers and he had several fail last year. Both he and I have used them for 40 years without a problem and I used them up until recently until costs caused me to switch to Cheddite. Hope it was an anomaly.

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jon, I use W209 primers continually and have only had one misfire in the last 25,000. I also use DRM Windjammer replacement wads and have zero problem with them. I realize and individual lot may be bad, but I'd look to powder selection and powder drops. Dry air in the Winter does cause some powder drop problems- static, etc.

13. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

I had five, yes five 209 primers in my AA reloads fail to detonate in one round last year. I sent them to Winchester (they paid the freight)along with five unfired shells from the same loading.. Their technicians concluded that there was nothing wrong with the primers! Or the reloads or the gun. They did tell me that they were from an older batch but no explanation as to why they didn't go off..............After two more no bangs I returned 1100 primers from that batch and they sent me 5.000 new ones. I don't know why they didn't fire and neither does the factory but it did happen and Winchester did right by me as far as I'm concerned.

14. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Loaded over 106,000 W209s without a single misfire - all AA hulls. I log a 1,000 when I throw the box away, so I know my count is accurate.

15. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

A few years ago, I experienced this same problem. It turned out that the problem was the Claybuster Windjamer wad. The wad pedestal was too weak and the wad base was getting cocked and not squarely seating. I quit using Claybuster. Last year I tried some of the Downrange Windjamer replacements and in about 3000, have not had any odd sounding loads. Bill

16. Jon Reitz

I think I've located the problem. Last night I noticed the charge bar dragging pretty badly three times when loading a box of shells. (Kind of a jerky motion back to the right). Today I made some corrections and successfully watched as the bar moved left, and then right, 250 times without a hitch. I also weighed 15-20 powder drops and they were right where I wanted them to be. MEC customer service helped out also. So now we'll see...

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester 209 primer problems