1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 1400

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbifulco, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

I just saw a Winchester 1400 for sale at my local Gander Mountain. The gun was pretty rough but had a Monte Carlo stock, 30" full with a duck bill extension on the receiver. The price was $350.00.

I am wondering if it is worth buying the gun and give it some TLC. It did fit and felt good.

If any one has any experience with this model your feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That is as much as a nice one is worth.

3. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Thanks. I'll keep my $350.00

4. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

The 1400 is the worst shotgun winchester ever made!

5. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

The 1400 is a real soft shooter and you will find several folks on here that will disagree with the post about them being junk. I bought one last year and gave to a junior shooter who just loved it. He has a new gun and his brother is now shooting it. Gandwr Mountain does not have firm prices, make them an offer, you might be suprised. Also, don't be suprised if it's not there when you go back!

6. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I really don't know much about the Winchesters.

Joe

7. shaner

shaner Member

i owned one , shot it for about 5yrs , all i ever did was clean it and she worked fine an dandy , i didnt care for the bolt release in them but ill agree they did shoot soft 350 isnt bad?? 300 would be better then i just paid a while back 350 for a 1200 trap in great shape i liked it so i bought it ,

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Joe.. The Winchester 1400 is an entry level gun that is built for the casual shooter, not the serious, dedicated, trapshooter. I had one for years that I used for ducks and geese, and it performed flawlessly. However, I only put between 200-300 rounds per year through it. I would try to put a couple hundred dollars more towards a nice, used Remington 1100 trap gun, and start from there. The 1400 is a good gun, just not for shooting a lot of trap targets... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Field and Stream had the top 50 sporting guns in the world listed a few years back. They also listed the five worst. The 1400 was one of the worst five. At the Winchester franchised trap ranges the franchisees supposedly would refuse to order more 1400s.

That said, my dad had one and I hunted some with it and had no problems. I turned down his offer to buy it and got an 870 instead. Never looked back.

10. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Never had any trouble with the 4 or 5 we got around here. I started with one and so did all my kids. Paul

11. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

I own a Winchester Model 1400 MK II. I have hunted with it in rain, snow, and freezing ice. I have even dropped it in the marsh. I have also shot trap with it, and found it also to be a real soft shooter.

The bottom line here, is that this shotgun will take a beating and there will be no malfunctions.

Since I no longer hunt, I have thought about selling it. The "Blue Book of Gun Values" (Thirtieth Edition) lists this model at $313.50 for a gun in 98% condition.

Dave

12. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

The price is about right..I have one and it has never failed me..one dependable gun...shot game with it..won a doulbles event with it, and Wayne Mayes held the long run skeet record shooting one.Need anything else? For the money you cant go wrong.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If you're called to the shoot-off stripe and Peter J.S. shows up with his 1400, better bring your A game, A gun and lots of A game ammo!! Hap

14. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I have a 1400 in 20ga with 18,650 rounds through it to date with ZERO problems. I use it for everthing still. A perfect bird gun & I still use it at the 16 yd line now & then next to $8k guns and still run em.

$350 is $100 to much. Maybe worth $200 max. I got mine for $50 at walmart on clearance in 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how turn a winchester model1400 into a trap gun

shooting the winchester 1400 for trap on you tube