1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 1400 help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

I have a Winchester 1400 mk2.I am simply inquiring if this is a gun that will hold up to 300+ rounds a week.

2. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

For how many weeks is the Question... Would be worried about after learning the gun..having it Break Down..parts??? and service??? Would be Better suited to a Model 12 and or 870..Lot's of parts. Just my 2 cents. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I shot one for yuears no problems, ask Repeteclay he shoots one

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. SouthMetro Shooter

20 weeks a year. Parts are available but its a very hard semi to take down to service. Well i got it free from my great uncle so I will use it as a hunting gun then. Thanks Bart.

5. SouthMetro Shooter

I have just heard horror stories about 1400's being terrible guns. I personally love it because to be honest i shoot horribly with vr ribs. and this has none. 30" and a full choke. its great.

6. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Shooting what you Love and are Comfortable with.....is More than 1/2 the Game.
    Sounds like you have Alot of Shooting Planned..Enjoy. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I shot with "Repeteclay"(Peter J) at the Grand. He used his 1400 with his custom barrel. He sure shoots the gun well. As Dr. Longshot said, shoot "Repeteclay" a PM and ask him for some input.

8. SouthMetro Shooter

I can do that. Thanks. And uh how would I go about doing that? I'm new to this website. Thanks. Matt

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

All the parts for the 1400 should be the same as these inexpensive models:

Winchester Ranger 140

Winchester 140

Sears 300........These models can be found around here for $200.00

Wayne

10. SouthMetro Shooter

Does anyone know of specific problems with them?

11. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

There are sources and parts out there, might have to search a little. You can check out Gun Parts Inc (Numrich) and NuLine in MO.

Might look for another of same, to use for parts, backup.

You should be able to shoot that gun 300 rounds a week and not have serious problems, with good regular cleaning and maintenance.

Many shooter put together repair kits of springs, pins, gaskets, etc for their particular gun. Might want to include extra hammer, trigger, or even a complete trigger group if you can find one.

Just becareful and try not to win too many events with your 1400. You might have to sandbag a little. You will make enemies real fast if you outshoot someone with a $10,000.00 Perazzi, Kreigoff, Kolar, Caesar Guerini, Ljutic, Afermann or whatever.

12. SouthMetro Shooter

I've already outshot those guys at the club with people take me. And I know they get pretty cranky about it. It has a full choke and I even shoot skeet with it and do well with it. One gun is the way to go.

13. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

My son shoots my dad's "duck gun" Winchester 1400 MKII ca. 1975 very regularly.
    He's been ATA for 2 years, ( He's 12) and this is the problms I've encountered:

Forend- he's "worn out" 2 of the early style forends, (that come back over the receiver) and I modified a new style to fit. so far, so good.

He broke a return spring (but the gun is 35 years old, and has many 1000's of rouunds through it).

It gets dirty, but dropping the trigger group (1 pin) and giving it a soak and rinse in Hoppe's takes care of that.

There's a lot of parts interchangability, ( the return spring and current foerend are from a 20 ga). If we're going to a big shoot I try to remember to bring a spare trigger group - it's a lot faster to replace than mess around with)

Since it has a rotary bolt lock-up, it gives me peace of mind when he's shooting that all will stay together.

It may not be an "ideal" gun, but, IMO, it doesn't suck.

mike pearson

14. SouthMetro Shooter

I got this from my great uncle a few months before he passed away. He shot 4 shots through it, geese. Then it was put in the safe until I got it. So its in practically mint condition.

15. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Keep it clean, It will serve you well.

16. SouthMetro Shooter

Does anyone know of specific problems with them?

17. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

There are sources and parts out there, might have to search a little. You can check out Gun Parts Inc (Numrich) and NuLine in MO.

Might look for another of same, to use for parts, backup.

You should be able to shoot that gun 300 rounds a week and not have serious problems, with good regular cleaning and maintenance.

Many shooter put together repair kits of springs, pins, gaskets, etc for their particular gun. Might want to include extra hammer, trigger, or even a complete trigger group if you can find one.

Just becareful and try not to win too many events with your 1400. You might have to sandbag a little. You will make enemies real fast if you outshoot someone with a $10,000.00 Perazzi, Kreigoff, Kolar, Caesar Guerini, Ljutic, Afermann or whatever.

18. SouthMetro Shooter

I've already outshot those guys at the club with people take me. And I know they get pretty cranky about it. It has a full choke and I even shoot skeet with it and do well with it. One gun is the way to go.

19. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

My son shoots my dad's "duck gun" Winchester 1400 MKII ca. 1975 very regularly.
    He's been ATA for 2 years, ( He's 12) and this is the problms I've encountered:

Forend- he's "worn out" 2 of the early style forends, (that come back over the receiver) and I modified a new style to fit. so far, so good.

He broke a return spring (but the gun is 35 years old, and has many 1000's of rouunds through it).

It gets dirty, but dropping the trigger group (1 pin) and giving it a soak and rinse in Hoppe's takes care of that.

There's a lot of parts interchangability, ( the return spring and current foerend are from a 20 ga). If we're going to a big shoot I try to remember to bring a spare trigger group - it's a lot faster to replace than mess around with)

Since it has a rotary bolt lock-up, it gives me peace of mind when he's shooting that all will stay together.

It may not be an "ideal" gun, but, IMO, it doesn't suck.

mike pearson

20. SouthMetro Shooter

I got this from my great uncle a few months before he passed away. He shot 4 shots through it, geese. Then it was put in the safe until I got it. So its in practically mint condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
i can get my action to open on my winchester 1400
winchester 140 1400 parts

winchester 1400 forum

winchester 1400 forums
winchester 1400 mk2 rebuild kit