1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 1400 any good?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Any comments on this model?

Are they a god-awful piece of junk or a serviceable field gun?

I wouldn't expect them to take a lot of (competition) shooting without failure, but then again, maybe they do?

What are your experiences withthem?

What other auto would be highly durable?

What other auto would cycle with light 7/8 oz loads as well as normal or heavy?

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

They're a very low-end semi, I'm afraid. The later ones were not as bad, but still not good. If you haven't bought one, I'd suggest avoiding this model.

-Gary

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Wayne Mayes, arguably the greatest skeet shooter in recent history, set incredible records with a 1400 which had a cutts compensator on it. It worked reliably for him for thousands of rounds and lots of championships. Regards, Ed

4. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Ed, Wayne Mayes was the exception that proved the rule. He could have used a hardware store double.

Bruce, Can a 1400 be reliable? Yes, if you have the knowledge and a large sack of parts, but just because something is possible goes not mean it is practicable.

A Remington 1100 would be my choice, but one of the Berettas would do as well. Parts are readily available. Lots of free advice on here to keep either of them running. Of course some of the "free" advice is worth what you pay for it too.

If you already have a 1400, then shoot it. If you are in the market then I would try an 1100 and the various Berettas and see which points better for you.

Michael

5. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Short answer - no.

6. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

It is a $200.00 piece of junk. It will not hold up for thousands of rounds of firing.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You guys oughta see Peter J. shoot his 1400!!! I shot a few events at the Grand this year with Peter J. S. and the clays looked as though they'd been hit by a freight train!! Nice shooting with you Peter J..

Hap

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

The man asked if it was a decent field gun. Not a trap gun and my answer is yes. I have taken a lot of game with a Winchester 1400.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Probably sold over a hundred in my time. 10% being target guns. Never had one returned for anything.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

They make a great Field gun. Find an old Sears 300 or a Ranger 140 for about $100 to $150 and you will have all the spare parts you'll ever need.

Wayne

11. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I still have the one I bought back in 1978 for $125.00. Never had an issue. Killed a lot of pheasants and doves. Very tight full choke pattern. Never used it for registered trap, beyond the practice trap, but used it for years with my personal trap thrower yearly before hunting season. Also turned many on to trap with it that never shot before. Soft kick. I also bought a smooth bore slug barrel and have used that too. Not the prettiest gun.

12. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

My kid is shooting ATA with mu dad'd 1400 ca. 1977

he wore out a couple forends, but it's been mechanically reliable, IF KEPT CLEAN.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I won a lot of money w/ my old Winchester 1400 Trap, and bought 3 others when a friend died, Never evber any problems with them, rumor has it that Al Ljutic designed the gun, is this true?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Can't go wrong with a 1400 I own one and have never had a problem.Won a couple doubles events with it and shot lots of game.Crappy trigger,but what do you expect for under $300.00? Screw in the Skeet choke and it shoots slugs pretty darn good as well.

15. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I have a 1400, and I shot thousands and thousands of rounds through it and never had a problem. Not even once. I shot skeet at the Ilion (NY) Fish and Game club. Ilion is the home of Remington Arms, a lot of members work there,and they shot a lot of 1100's there. I always chuckled about the club having a supply of 1100 parts on hand so these guys could fix their guns that always seemed to break. O rings, wishbones, etc.....My gun never broke or malfunctioned once. Those guys couldnt say the same. You keep it clean, it will work well for you. Buy it, good gun.

I paid 150 bucks for mine, and I made the guy throw in a box of shells. Shot it for years until I could afford an over under with a tube set. Heck of a deal.

16. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

It's a decent gun. Pretty much the same barrel as the Super X Model 1. Obviously just the barrel extention and chamber area are different. That is why the 1400 will hammer targets just like a SX-1 and a Model 12. I found the trigger blade to be too small for my trigger finger. Other than that I kind of like the 1400. For a $300 - $400 gun it is tough to beat. I have a 1400 trap I like to squirrel hunt with. I've killed squirrels out to 80 yards the 1400 using copper plated #4 shot. I've never lost a squirrel with my 1400.

John

17. SX12

SX12 Member

Nice to hear from the real experts vs. the armchair experts.
    SX12

18. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

19. pokerdand

pokerdand Member

If anyone is interested in one, i have a 12 ga, plain barrel, 1 choke tube (external knurled) in excellent condition, i would call it 95%, field gun 28", i'd sell for 275 plus shipping to your ffl.

20. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Repeteclay is very right. This year i took my 1400mk2 out and shot over 3,000 rounds through it. Love it to death, practically no kick and I have never had a fail to fire. It doesn't have the rep of berettas or Remingtons, but take care of it and they are awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
history of the winchester model 1400
sears 300 vs win 1400
who shot win 1400 alot
winchester 1400 for trap
winchester 1400 forum
winchester 1400 gtrap

winchester 1400 history

winchester 1400 trap