1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WINCHESTER 1300 TRAP GUN?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rifle guy, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

I have a winchester 1300 12ga and want to use it for occasional trap use. It has a fixed modified choke and I would like an interchangable choke. the barrel had some rust but i got it all off. some minor piting. Is it worth buying a new barrel with removable choke tubes or is it just fine the way it is? Any ideas about how well a 1300 will shoot trap being a feild grade with plain stock and pad?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Does it look something like this...

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I bought this one when I was 12 years old and I have used it to break a few targets. The key word is a "few". I think you will find that the recoil will get to you after a few hundred targets due to the light weight of the gun.

Your fixed mod. barrel will break 16 yard targets but you will probably want to build up the comb a little and raise the POI. Winchester also made a trap version of the 1200 that had a trap stock that will fit your 1300 if you want to go to the effort of finding a stock.

Tumbleweed

There is a 1200 trap stock going for $122.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WINCHESTER-MOD-1200-12GA-TRAP-M-C-BUTTSTOCK-FOREARM_W0QQitemZ140102761530QQcmdZViewItem

3. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Well, an occasional shooter can probably do better with a gun he is familiar with than a dedicated trap gun that he is not.

Having said that, I can't answer whether it is "worth it" to you to buy another barrel....your barrel will certainly hit targets if you point it correctly. I know a fair number of good shooters who shot a long time with their field guns.

The main difference in a field grade stock and a trap stock is usually the drop at the comb (where your face goes). A field gun will generally have a lower stock (more drop) than a trap stock (less drop).

Field guns and stocks are generally lighter and made to be carried more and quickly mounted and shot, hence the more drop of the stock for an easy quick shot.

A trap stock is usually nearly parallel to the bore of the gun and when mounted you would place your head down a little more firmly for a consistent sight picture. Not always appropriate in a field setting when the game is flying away from you. Hunters usually find that a trap gun feels "uncomfortable" to them at first.

Trap stocks, when fitted properly, help to lessen the felt recoil to your face.

You mention that this is for "occasional" trap use and I would offer that neither a different stock or barrel will contribute much to your initial skills, but practice will. A vent rib barrel is pleasant to look down, but not at all neccessary to shoot decent scores.

If you get the "bug" to continue, try a few other guns first before spending any un-neccessary money on the 1300. Save your $$ budget for practice.

4. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

Thanks for the input. the gun seems to point and fit me awsomly i can break targets with it and was mainly wanting the choke choices. Cosmeticaly it probly just needs to be reblued but will suit my needs for now. The recoil doesnt bother me though i do feel it in the face.

5. JRD

JRD TS Member

Carlsons will put tubes in it for $85.00 and you get 3 chokes and 2 choke tube wrenchs.

6. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Try here. I've had several done. Excellent work and product.

DB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shooting trap with winchester 1300
winchester 1300 for trap
winchester 1300 low comb stock

winchester 1300 trap

winchester 1300 trap barrel
winchester 1300 trap gun
winchester 1300 trap stock
winchester 34874