1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 1200 Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I would like to get some thoughts from anyone who has had experience with a Winchester 1200 trap. Do they hold up etc? Also, what does the recoil reduction system consist of? Any info at all would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike.

2. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

The only recoil system on the 1200 that i am aware of is a recoil pad as it is a pump gun.

Its possible that some may have come with winchesters hydrol coil stock.

Winchester claimed at the time that the rotary bolt was the strongest pump action at the time it was introduced.

The 1200 was intended to replace the model 12 but wasn't even close.
    The 870 was and is far and away a better value for the clay target sports.

Ihe 1200 is a good servicable gun for the money, Winchester was beginning its down hill slide when they came out with the 1200 and 1400 auto.
    I class them as wal mart type shotguns ,good for busting bunnies ect.

my .03 cents.

ed

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Without knowing price of the gun your looking at I will state the following, if its close to the same as what you can buy and 870 for, spend the difference.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i purchased a trap model for $275.00 last summer. it was like knew. the trigger was so bad that i took it to a gunsmith. gunsmith said he wouldn't even fool around with it. stick to 870's.
    steve balistreri

5. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I can not speak for the Trap model,, but I shot a Field model (28"), and was very happy with its performance. Broke a lot of targets with it. I upgraded to a BT99.
    Norman

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I had a Winchester 1200.

In my opinion it is the fastest to cycle pump gun ever. Period.

Also in my opinion is that it is one of the worst for recoil.

Mine functioned flawlessly. But I got rid of it and replaced it with a Mossberg 590 for defense and an 870 Wingmaster for everything else.

7. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

8. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have one of the 1200 trap presentation guns That Winchester gave out in 1968 to the winner of the few clay target tournaments they sponsered. It's a beautiful gun with lots of gold on it. But I don't shoot it because it is almost a collectors piece. I would sell it if someone is interested. The serial # starts out WCT (Winchester Clay Tournament) 68 the year it was made.

9. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.