1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 101

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kjorgy, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjorgy

kjorgy TS Member

Why are the new Winchester 101 o/u so hard to find? I bought the only one I could find 5 months ago and love it. It is the 101 select. I want to upgrade to the trap o/u but can't find it anywhere. They are quality made in Belgium. No Japan junk.

2. yzfart

yzfart TS Member

The "Japan junk" as you call it is quite well made. You should handle one before you judge them - many of the good quality shotguns that shooters are using are made in Japan. (ex. Browning, Miroku, SKB, etc.)

I shoot a 1973 vintage Winchester 101 that was made for Olin Corp (Winchester) by Kodensha in Japan. It has had 50,000 3 dram shells put through it and it still locks up tight and smokes the clay targets.

I have looked at the new Belgian-made guns and was curious what type of locking mechanism it used. At a glance from magazine articles, it looked like it uses a dual-pin lockup similar to the Beretta 68 series. Looks like a well made gun.

Let us know how it shoots and your impressions.

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've owned a Japanese 101 skeet gun for 25 years...very well made and no problems....wish I still had the 101 Broadway I bought in 1978 just for the mechanical triggers....

4. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

I'll take an Olin 101 any day over the new model!

5. kjorgy

kjorgy TS Member

Did not mean to offend anyone. I am a pistol and rifle guy coming into shotguns. In those fields Japan stuff just doesn't compare in craftsmanship and warranty. The new 101 does have dual locking pins and shoots great. Invector Plus chokes and has a great finish. I'll try to put some pics up.

6. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

A buddy of mine built up a 22-250 on a Howa action it will shoot a 1/2 in. all day! as for me I shoot a Steyr pro hunter.

7. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I have a mid 70's 101 pigeon trap "Jap Junk" gun. I wish I could buy another brand new with factory support. I looked at a new one last fall, not even close to the quality of the old ones. What did I buy? A Citori XT.

There have been some new 101s on GB at reduced prices, but since they are not selling, I would think that getting parts for one might be harder than the old 101 design.

my.02

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

anybody shoot a winchester 101

shooting a winchester 101

shooting the winchester 101

winchester 101

winchester 101 trap made in japan opinions

winchester 101 trap opinions