1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 101. What can you tell me?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ljutic73, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My first trap gun was a 101 and with the old Winchester hard pad on it, it was a kicker...but with a good KickEez pad or a Gracoil unit, I think that would tame it down. The guns have mechanical triggers which is a big plus. I still own a 101 skeet and it's never failed me.

2. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I have owned one, and I did not feel the recoil was bad at all. I sometimes feel that a poor fitting gun will cause you more grief in the recoil department. I have fired some side by sides that were much worse than my 101 was. I think they are good guns.

3. BustClays

BustClays Member

I had a rib come loose, check it out. But it shot fine.

4. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

One of my first trap guns was a 101 and the rib fell off.

ol 12

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

101s are well designed and balanced but relatively light in the top single model. The most common problems are loose ribs, broken ejector hammers and stocks with too little pitch - the bottom (toe) on the butt sticks out too far.

Rollin

6. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Robust reliable guns, had three two 101 field grades, one Pigeon Grade, one of the field grades had a loose rib,fixed it myself, kept the guns for 10 years, recomend them highly.

Berettaman8

7. xb2dr

xb2dr TS Member

Wireguy,

My wife and I both shoot Pigeon Grade 101's. They do not kick. My wife can shoot her's all day no problems.

The top rib on mine is loose from the chamber end forward about 5". I really stressed about it at first. After getting some good info from the guys here, some old timers at my club and from seeing a few early 101's (which mine is - 1977) around my local clubs that have the same problem I stopped worrying. It still shoots where it points.

My wife's 101 is a later model (1986) and has shot alot more rounds than my gun. Her rib is solid but her's did have cracked ejector hammers. I bought 2 new hammers and, once again, with some good advice from the guys here, I cut a few turns off the springs to ease the load on the new hammers. I also did this to mine to prevent any future problems. I also modified the metal work in the fore end to eliminate a problem which I believe contributed to the cracking of the hammers. If you buy one and want to see what I did, just let me know.

Best thing is alot of people think they are junk. Makes it easy to get them for a good price.

Brett.

8. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

10,000+ rounds through mine without a misfire. Rib came loose about 6,000 rounds ago and I glued it back on with RTV. Easy, cheap and solid fix. Never felt that it kicked much at all. A really good value.

9. HANGFIRE

HANGFIRE Member

Brett. I have a 101 Diamond grade and couldn't be more satisfide with it. I would like some info. on the ejector hammers and and springs , if you have the time i would appreciate it. (email me) Drop the Xs Thank You

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

wireguy, which model are your thinking of?

11. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

probably some of the finest over/under target guns ever made for the price.we sold them for years at our trap range. the best for the money. pigeon and diamond grade standard guns under 1200.00 mint would be great deals... the grand european models around 1400.00 or under for mint would be real good guns and good prices. Get a soft comb put on it that would help alot it the recoil bothers you. good luck!

12. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

probably one of the finest shotguns made for the money. We sold them in our
    store for years-very few problems. if the recoil bothers you have a soft comb put on the stock it will help. diamond or pigeon grade models mint under 1200.00 would be a good deal. grand european models a bit higher.

good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester 101 ejector hammer

winchester 101 mechanical trigger

winchester model 101 ejector problem