1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 101 Trap original for sporting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MR870, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MR870

MR870 Member

I might have a deal on a old Winchester 101 trap gun 32" for use in sporting clays and Fitasc.Can I get some good feedback from you Winchester guys?

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It will work fine I used a 101 skeet for sporting clays, the chokes might be too tight unless it has screw ins. I like the rib on the trap 101 real well myself. Everyone talks about how they kick but I never found it to be a problem but I had a nice thick soft pad and it fit me.

3. MR870

MR870 Member

Thanks for the info.It does have winchokes in it but I usually shoot mods in a gun and vary my shot size for different target presentations.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Check the POI before you make a final decision. Sportie guns shouldn't shoot higher than 60/40.

HM

5. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

IMO- they are a hard gun to shoot.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

They can kick. Shoot it before you buy it. The 60/40 thing isn't really true. Depends how you shoot. I shoot a 90% gun on sporting and there are lot more sporting shooters with adjustable rib guns seeing the advantages of shooting a higher POI.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I use a 101 Skeet for the odd sporting match I've shot...chokes are a bit too open for some target presentations but works not bad...I have an Pachmyr Triple Magnum pad on mine and it's pretty tame to shoot.

8. MR870

MR870 Member

The gun I shoot now in competion is an old 870.Yes an 870 with a second hand Remington trap stock,30" Remchoke barrel,and a magazine extention tube filled with a spring and washers.I've made more money off that pieced together shukomatic than I ever did with my Beretta's or K80.85000 rounds through it before the ejector broke at the NWTF Shoot in Macon Ga this past August 2011.$30 to fix it.The gunsmith who fixed it said he has never seen one break before in his 50plus years of working on 870's.Since the French banned pumps for Fitasc sporting clays I need an o/u to compete with.

9. MR870

MR870 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.