1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 101 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by texas_shooter, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texas_shooter

texas_shooter TS Member

First I want to start off by telling everyone hello and that this is my first post on trapshooters. I have been looking at picking up a used Winchester 101 for Trap. I have looked at BT99s as well, however; I would like to have O/U so that I wont be limited just to singles and HC. I'm looking for a gun that will fill my needs for about three years when I then plan on moving up to a perazzi or beretta dt.

With that being said I would like to have your opinons on the Winchester 101. I have found some on gunbroker from $750 on up, the cheaper ones being blued 30" fixed choke barrels and marked "japan". Can anyone tell me if I should stay away from these that are marked "japan" and if these have a selective trigger? I am not worried about blueing as it will be refinished if needed and the stocks will be redone as well. I also have no problem haveing the chokes opened up, forcing cones done, porting, ect. The gun I get in the e?nd will have RAD4 placed on it and also a keen sights rib.

1. is the 101 reliable and have parts avabile?
    2. are single 34" barrels avabile for them?
    3. are the cheaper used "japan" marked 101s all the same as the others?
    4. good smith for the 101s?

Thanks, Zach

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Zach,

I started off with a 101 which I shot for about a year until I got my BT 99 Plus. It has 30 inch barrels and had fixed chokes at full & full. Later, I had Briley install tubes, Hissem do a comb and Spears do a release. I can now use it for doubles, sporting clays and skeet.

They are a very solid and durable gun. You can find them in trap specials and combos. I have seen the combos for around $1800. Some people feel that they have more recoil than other guns. I am not sensitive to recoil but I do not sense any greater recoil shooting the 101 than some other guns.

They do have a tendency to pop the rib loose. Mine did this and I just glued it back down with five dollars worth of RTV, problem solved. If $750 is your budget and you can find one that locks up tight it can be a good starter gun for you. Parts are available and most gunsmiths that work on Brownings can work on the 101. PM me if you want more info.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I have 5 (yeah - I can't resist 'em), and love them. Recoil is fine, and they are very reliable. Early ones had a loose rib issue, but that was cleared up on later production runs. I have well over 100,000 targets with my unsingle, and no problems.

They come in 34" singel, and if you get a combo eith 30" or 32" double barrel.

There are several good smiths. Where are you located?

4. flyfish

flyfish Member

I had a new Pigeon Grade 101 trap gun back in the late 1970s. It was a beautiful gun and, I thought, a lot of gun for the money. However, it kicked like a mule. Obviously, the gun didn't fit me well and I didn't have the money at that time to have a new stock made. I ended up selling it and purchased a Remington 3200 which fit me a lot better with much less perceived recoil. The guy who bought my 101 kept it less than a year - too much recoil. Hope you find one that fits you.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'm agreeing with Flyfish. A friend of mine had one, and he could really break targets with it, but it kicked like a Missouri mule.

Hauxfan!

6. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

I currently shoot a 101 diamond grade trap and love the gun. It does have a spring recoil reducer on it, but I shoot 1 1/8oz reloads at 1275fps. Recoil has never bothered me at all on the gun. It has shot well for me and never failed to fire (knock on wood).

Good shooting

Nick

7. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

MY blued/ Hard choked, early gun 30" f/f Kicked the snot out of ME, that's why its in the very back of the safe...on the other hand my(Airborne, Ranger) son thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. Mine handles well, breaks the hell out of targets, and has required no repairs- it just hurts my shoulder to shoot it.

Larry

8. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Zach - The 101s are very good guns and the ones made in Japan are fine. I had a Diamond grade skeet gun. There are parts around and people who fix them. The only downside is that they are light and have too much recoil for me, even with a reducer in the stock. I am new to trap, and picked up a BT-99 Plus. It is terrific and everything I need. It has an adjustable comb, rib and recoil absorber. I didn't have to put any money into the gun for upgrades. I know that you said you wanted a O/U, but I think a BT-99 (or Plus) would serve you well and then you could go to a Combo, when you are ready to move up. That is my plan. If you buy a nice resale BT-99, you will get all your money back out. Billy P.S. No-I am not selling mine

9. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

I bought a (Japan) Winchester 101 Pigeon grade in 1979 and shot (estimated) 30K through it in the next 10 years, than slowly curtailed shooting. Broke one firing pin that's it. No other problems. Straight (non MC) Stock. It is 32" F & IM. LOP 14 3/8 and nice deep redish wood against. Back then, Allem installed a recoil reducer and ported the bottom barrel. For the last 20 years or so it mostly sat in a safe, may came out for a 25 at a meat shoot for fun. Last year I got the bug again and shot 100, missing only bird # 51 - so I guess the gun still works OK.

I just had Allems's extend the FC and install a new reducer. SInce then, I have shot a bunch of 1 oz 8's, 2 3/4 and I could shoot it all day, the felt recoil has been vastly improved.

Eventually I intend to upgrade, but for now this 30+ Japan model 101 is as good, maybe better than before. It is doing a real nice job on the targets (when I hit them.) I think the FC improved the pattern.

As you look around, there are a number of different 100 stocks, and LOP's that I see at Cabelas on line, and GB.com. so try to make sure the 101 fits you. I see prices that range from 900 to 2300 depending on condition.

that my 2 bb's worth

10. Cush

Cush TS Member

I have been shooting 101 Pigeon Trap guns for years. ALL of the traditional 101's (not counting what they are calling a "101" produced today) were made in Japan. I was fondling a 32" 3200 last Saturday and I'd guess it weighs about a POUND more than my 32" 101, and mine has the heavier rib. So, sure the 3200 kicks less.

However, with NIB Pigeon Traps going for $2,000 these days, I think I'd save up and get a Cesar Guerinni, or however you spell that.

11. quicky

quicky Member

I have a 101 Diamond grade with the 32" O/U barrrels. I shot my highest doubles average with it (94.82 on 4800 targets) including 500 pair in one day. I was pretty sore after that day but more from abrasion than anything else. I have switched to a Kolar and doubles avg. dropped to 94.42 on 5800 doubles the first year and was 94.82 for 2008 on 4900 registered doubles. I don't shoot very well but am consistent.

Since I got the Kolar I had a stock made by Wenig for the 101. It is the same dimension as the Kolar, but is bondo and laminate. I got the basic stock and fit it from there. Ugly as hades but it really does shoot well. It is heavier in the butt from the bondo, but it has been working great for live birds. Won the first shoot I shot by 2 birds 3 weeks after getting it back. Was nice to shoot it next to all the 20K guns and win. (Looked really nice in the rack!). I shoot heavy 1 1/4 oz. loads at 1400 fps and, on live birds at least, don't notice the recoil. I shoot 2 shots pretty quickly and don't notice any trouble getting the gun on the bird for the 2nd shot. I actually like shooting the gun better than the Kolar but the Kolar was really pretty for a great price and you probably know the rest of the story as well as anyone on here does by now. Good luck on your search, Quicky

12. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

What is with the stock that they kick so much?

The drop, the pitch, the length? What is the key problem and how is it remedied?

thanks

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Good shotgun. Recoil might be slightly more than avg but not bad if it fits you. Bluing comes off the sharp edges under the receiver too easily, but no big deal for a trap gun. Kodesha or whatever is fine. If I remember correctly later 101s were the first shotguns to offer screw-in chokes. Is that right? In any case, enjoy it and have fun!

-Gary

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I think the later Diamond Grades are the best way to go. If I remember correctly they all came with overbored barrels and the old 101 mule kick went away. You don't see many shot today but that was because they came to the game with the improvements too late and against too much competition.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I think the later Diamond Grades are the best way to go. If I remember correctly they all came with overbored barrels and the old 101 mule kick went away. You don't see many shot today but that was because they came to the game with the improvements too late and against too much competition.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't know of any that were NOT made in Japan, and before they were 101's they were called Nikko.

When they became Winchesters the company was Olin-Kodensha or something like that.

Shot my first 50 straight with one.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
model 101 trap winchester reviews
winchester 101 diamond grade review

winchester 101 pigeon grade review

winchester 101 review
winchester 101 sporting review
winchester 101 sporting reviews

winchester 101 trap