1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== Winchester 101 SBT? ==

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I saw a single barrel 101 at a gun show today, nice shape, for $450. I thought about buying it to use for a youth/loaner gun, but was concerned about recoil and other issues. I'm interested in info & opinions from people who have actually shot the single barrel trap version.

Recoil?

Reliability?

Parts Available? (it's 40 years old)

Thanks,
    Gary

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

They were made by GM. You don't want one.

ss

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Not sure, but I believe this was on a 2 pipe frame. Made by Olin-Kodensha, probably hard to get parts for now.

Better shoot it first, they have a little bit of a rep for kicking.

Good price, with a Kick-Eeze and one ounce loads might be ok.

HM

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

2 pipe frame / Made by Olin-Kodensha is correct, Halfmile. Thanks.

-Gary

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I can't give you any info on the 101 SBT. I had always heard about the terrible recoil from the Winchester 101's and steered clear of them. I had the opportunity to shoot a few rounds with a 30" O/U Winchester 101 during practice. I personally did not experience this terrible recoil. I in fact thought the gun shot fairly well. I was using my normal 1 1/8oz #8's in a STS hull with 19gr Green Dot. Not saying it isn't true, i just didn't see it.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Matt, I too have shot the O/U and didn't think the recoil was bad as the reputation. But I've never shot the SBT and I'm concerned because I assume it's a little lighter.

-Gary

7. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

I bought a 101 Diamind grade unsingle a while back for my 11 year old son. Recoil does not seem to be an issue but we load 1oz and on the light side. It seems to be a good quality gun and parts are available through Midwest Gun Works.

Hope this helps

Brian "Robbie and Jake's Dad"

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Depends wether the stock fits the shooter as due to stock configuration, they are less forgiving the other models. They do bump more than the O/U's but they are lighter.

Parts are readily available from many.

Good price. Can buy a set of O/U barrels and have a cheap combo.

9. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Single Barrel With A C & H Mercury Reducer And Your Brother's Cousin's Nephew's Wife's 10 yr Old Step Child could Shoot It. The "Newer" 101's Made by FN Are GREAT Guns NO KICK. I Shot A Newer O/U 101 And The Owner "SAID" It Was Made By FN. Boy I Hope I Got That Right. JOE W.

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Not a darn thing wrong with this gun. I shot the o/u version for years with no kick issues. If the lighter weight bothers you, get a cheap barrel weight for it. Plenty of parts available frtom many places.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Hmmm, I might take a closer look and make an offer next time I see this fellow at a show.

Thanks for the useful comments.

-Gary

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The "Diamond Grade" 101's have larger bores and are tamer than the older ones. Still in all that's a good price and you can tame it down with some weight. Good luck.

13. spicyfish

spicyfish TS Member

I have 2 of the new 101's. Both are made in Belgium by FN. One field and one pigeon grade trap. The loads I shoot are 1oz, 17.5 grains of Claydot in Remington hulls. Recoil is not noticible to me. Lou P

14. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I have 2 Winchester SBT's; a 1969 vintage 32" and a 1974 vintage 34". Lots of rounds throught the 32", with only a broken firing pin so far. Parts are available from Numrich, Nuline, Midwest. Probably others, as well.

The 34" gun developed a loose rib that I'm going to have to resolder one of these days when I get the ambition.

The people that I've heard mention the supposed recoil issue are usually people that have never fired one; they just heard from somebody, who talked to a guy that said he knew a guy that said it kicked hard with them Nitro 27's...

I switch regularly between the 101's and my 1187 Rem. Granted, there is a noticeable difference, but the SBT's kick no more than a BT99, in my estimation.

Pretty good guns that can be had at a reasonable price these days.

Kiv

15. tedskeet

tedskeet TS Member

i am an aa shoter i have been shooting a diamond 101 single barrel for about 7 years now i put on a graycoil the kick people talk about is in there minds mixer can vouch for me i have 8 101s 4 over&unders @ 4 single barrels put an 8oz dead mule in the stock if you feel the kick is to much.single barrel shoots 60/40 with m/c stock gook luck.ted

16. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I shot one for quite awhile. Replaced an ejector hammer and had to have the rib re soldered. They were originally done with soft solder. I didn't have a recoil issue. I made the 27 yard line with it.

Mike Adcock

17. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I had a new 101 Select 30" Trap and liked it. I trade often and sold it to a young lady in SCTP and she's delighted with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester 101 sbt