1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 101 Reconditioning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mountainsteve, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Can anyone recommend someone to re condition a Winchester 101? Re bluing, stock finishing and mechanical? Are they worth spending the money on?

2. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Midwest gun works...MGW.com 636-475-7300 Pevely, Mo.63070

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Stu Wright is the Winchester guru.

4. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Midwest did a Pigeon Grade 101 for me..looks and locks like a new gun!..It is a 1976 model..and really needed a facelift.....LarryB

5. HANGFIRE

HANGFIRE Member

MGW Highley recommended. They did one for me and it came out like new and a fast turnaround

6. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

I checked with Midwest Gunworks. Sounds like the place to go but is it worth spending between $700. and $1,300. on a field grade Winchester 101 20 gauage? Even if I sold the 101 for $500. I could add that to the restoration cost and have $1,200. to $1,800. to buy a 20 gauage that needed no restoration. Looking for advice from someone wiser on guns than I.
    Mountainsteve

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Depends. Is this a gun with a history in your family even if it is a short one? Was it given to you by someone special or you plan on giving it to someone special? Do you shoot the gun really well? Just remember, if you are only doing the rebuild as an investment to resell, then no its not worth it. If you don't plan on selling the gun and could care a less about resale then yes they will make it like new again. So will Stu Wright who i named but MGW is top notch. The gun will be like new when you get it back. Really only you can decide.

8. plux001

plux001 Member

I recently called Stu for some light work on one of my Model 12's. He advised he was "at least" three months behind. So if you use him, be prepared for a long wait. I was really disappointed, as I wanted to see what kind of work they did. Sent the gun elsewhere, and am very pleased.

Paul

9. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.