1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 101 rebuild

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rondl, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rondl

rondl Member

When and how often does a 101 need a rebuild? What is the cost of this and who does a good job on rebuilds. When looking to buy a used 101 where should the opening lever be positioned? Thanks for your advice.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As to how often they need rebuilt, not sure what exactly you want rebuilt.

I replaced firing pins and springs and hammer springs every year. As such I never had a pin break or spring get soft. None of it was necessary at the tiime, just my way.

The ejector hammer is what I found to fail. Usually atleast one a year probably. Alittle costly. I believe the last I bought were $110 each. But gun will still shoot you just have to pull empty out manually.

I believe on the original one I did have the hinge pin german soldered once and dresses down as it was getting loose enough.

Top lever can be expected to have a position relative to how many rounds has been fired not unlike a Citori or others. Generally it just took a new top lever spring when my got close to six oclock position.

Phil Crenwelge usually worked on mine and had parts if I needed something. I did have Stu Wright go through and completely rebuild one for me. The cost was over $800 at about 4 years ago.

I shot the first one probably 20,000 rounds a year. I never felt like I had excessive repairs very similar to a Citori as a comparative. They are far better quality than given credit.

3. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

If you are looking to buy a used Win 101, top leaver should be to the right side of six o'clock. Also when the gun is closed there should not be any barrel movement from side to side. A couple things to consider if its a older model from the late 60's to 70's or has been shot alot. All things being mention they are work horses. I have owned,shot,sold and still own many of these. Have had a couple rebuilds. Top lever spring replaced, forearm hinge block replaced and locking block oversized and refit to barrels. All these repairs will tighten things up like new. Not a reel expensive repair eighter.

Jason in PA

4. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I never had a ejector rod break on any of my 101's.
    The problem with the ejector rods are they need to be fitting & the timing corrected on them. Should be easy for a skilled gunsmith. I agree with firing pins needing replaced once a year or every other year. All in all great guns.

Jason in PA

5. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I had my 1972 101 Pigeon rebuilt by Midwest Gun Works a few years ago.new springs, firing pins, ejectors..real modest cost, worth every penny...I can't applaud them loud enough. And quick turnaround..sure the hell beat Browning.....LarryB

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

When Winchester wanted to compete they went to Japan and created the Win 101--
    We used to call them made from tin cans---Sorry tho---They were great guns of their time---For me they can't stand up to a Browning Broadway---I'd save the $$s and put it towards a good Broadway---JMO----George@SJB

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Gary---Broadways don't need parts---Try Arts gun works and see if parts are available---I'll put my B-way F/S against your 101----Which will bring the most value???Not knocking the 101 but no comparison---JMO---SJB

8. rondl

rondl Member

Thank you all for the information, this has been very informative.

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Gary---Nice gun but still not a B-way---Take a look ---No pretty wood--- 32" bbls with Mec triggers -The Win 101 is a great gun.One of N.J. best shooters shot one and is now in the Hall Of Fame Austin Dorr------SJB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Gary----Here is another B-Way----30" bbls all orig and looks like NIB----
    Hard to beat the old superposed----Best kept secret----What's next?---
    George@SJB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OH---The checkering on the B-Ways were by hand,not stamped--I still suggest to save $$s and buy a B-WAY--Just saying---

11. HANGFIRE

HANGFIRE Member

pheasantmaster / Save yourself some money by just cutting about 2 or 3 rings off of the ejector springs , very simple to do and it will still kick out the empty. No need to break anymore ejectors and you can save some money by doing that.I had my 101 rebuilt by Mid West gun works. Hinge pin replaced,locking block and all springs.No firing pins becaus I just replaced them and it came back like new and it only took two weeks.Best $250.I ever spent

12. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

"Yeah, well mine's longer than yours. Oh, yeah, well mine's bigger around than yours......"

13. rondl

rondl Member

14. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

I recently had Midwest Gunworks rework my 1969 Winchester 101 20 Guage field gun. It is now like brand new both mechanically and cosmetically. Complete rebuild, reblue and refinish. Cost depends on condition and parts needed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Steve...Great Looking Gun...Done by a Fabulous Company...

16. 4painter

4painter Member

nice guns guys, i have a 101 diamond grade and if i could hit targets with it i would loke it better for sure

17. wm rike

wm rike Member

I can't address the price part of the question. As to how often, an avid skeet-shooting friend has, by count, over 250,000 rounds through his. He is not especially gentle with it, and laughs when I chide him about it. It locks up tightly and has never been apart. I consider it a pretty amazing gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
101 winchester top lever will not move

does winchester 101 have a press in hinge pin

firing pin winchester 101

win 101 rebuild

winchesrter 101

winchester 101 gun parts

winchester 101 lever

winchester 101 repair