1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

winchester 101 problem = fix ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stickbird, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

I have a pigeon grade 101 field model and it's a great but I have been haveing a problem with it cocking or setting the triggers?
    When I shoot it I have to open it and close it then feel for any tension on the trigger to know that it will fire.
    I took it to a gun smith and he said that the problem was in the forend?
    I also have a winchester limited edition Quail Special so I took that forend and put it on the 101 and doing a dry fire is looks like that fixed the problem?
    I am wondering if this forend is compatable and will work or if it is going to break something and should not be shot this way?
    I am wondering if this is the problem can I just send the forend to have the part replaced?
    Who would be the best to go to NU-Line or someone else?
    any advice would be great.
    thanks
    Jim

2. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Sounds like the cocking rod is warn this is why you are having prolems it is softer then the forearm iorn.When you switch the forearms and it worked is that the forearm plunge that settes on the cocking rod is sigths longer by a fue thousands longer and this is why it will cock the harmmer, with the other forearm my gust is the rod is worn and the plunger is to and should be replaced since the foream plunger is not replaceable thay will cut the rod a little longer to take up the differenc went fitted and you will be back in business.

3. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

Thanks for reply.
    Do you think it is OK to shoot the 101 with the Quail Special forend?
    if so I will do that = I just don't want to break something or are the parts the same?
    I don't shoot the quail Special much anymore so I don't mind going that route.
    Thanks
    Jim

4. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

I just looked at both forends and they look just alike with the exact same part except different wood.
    I guess that I can send just the forend to a gunsmith with out haveing to have a FFL ??
    Thanks
    Jim

5. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Jim the cocking rod is in the reciver and not the forearm you would have to send the gun to have the parts fitted and the parts are the same the only different is the wood like you said.

6. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Jim most states you don't need a FFL to send your gun out to be repaired and the gun can be sent right to your house and not a dealer because you are the owener only time you need a FFL is if you sell a gun or tranfer a gun to an other person through a dealer in a different state and if it not a person to person sale in the same state,except Cal ?

7. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

Thanks for your info and help,any person or place you reccomend I send it to?
    after I put the Quail Special forend on the 101 it is tight and feels like a new gun?
    Thanks again
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

my winchester 101 wont cock