1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 101 malfunction

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gatguy, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I have a Win. 101 that sometimes doesn't fire the second shot. Removing the butt and cocking the gun reveals the hammer sometimes follows the action closed, leaving the impression the trigger is at fault but this is not the case, the hammer comes up short of engaging with the sear. Upon dis-assembly and very careful exam there appears to be no broken or worn parts in the cocking parts and the forearm is tight. I know what the problem is but amat a loss as what to do to fix it.
    Any suggestions appreciated. Dick C.

2. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Dick,

If you're certain nothing is physically broken it has to be wear IMHO..... maybe the back surface of that particular hammer where the cocking lever/slide contacts it is worn just enough causing it not to catch the sear. Or the surface of the cocking lever at the same contact point ?

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Sounds like a worn or bent cocking rod.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It would be odd that one side of the cocking plate would be worn and the other side not....it's all one piece.

Could it be that some debris could be lying beneath the hammer, preventing it from rotating back further?

With the side that works, how much over-travel does this hammer have, once it passes the sear? Both hammers should exhibit the exact same amount of over-travel/over-cock.

If it does show one side being worn, it may be cheaper (but not quality-wise) to add a little weld to the worn area and re_time the hammer, compared to purchasing a new cocking plate AND having it fitted.

Doug Braker

5. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Hi Doug,

My thought was the hammer not cocking could have been made from a soft batch of steel? Maybe bad heat treatment?

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

6. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

Perhaps I should clarify that the second barrel follows the hammer down regardless of which barrel is fired first. I'm thinking of soldering a small 'shim' at the rear locating surface of the cocking plate to see if it will move the hammers back farther. Maybe new sear springs may help as the problem doesn't exist every shot.....just occasionally (but enough to screw up doubles shooting and increasing flinch); so if wear was the cause it probably wouldn't cock each time. thanks for all replies and advice.
    gatguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester 101 fail to firer second shot