1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 101 field

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bigcat, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigcat

Bigcat Active Member

Hi all I'm in the marked for a new gun to be used in the field and to bust some clays,skeet sporting, and a few trap doubles, just for fun at the club not competition.
    The Winchester 101 field and the Beretta white onyx seem to fit the bill and deals are to be had just haven't found any real feedback.
    Anyone care to chime in?
    Thanks John

2. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Warning BigCat - the new 101's are not the same as the old 101's. The Japanese 101's are vastly superior if fit, finish, and materials. The new ones are at best so-so.

There is a major difference between the old 101's and the Beretta - the Beretta uses a 'trunion' pivot, and the 101 uses a pin. The trunion design results in a lower and lighter action. Depends on you taste, but they have more than slightly different feels and mounts. The new 101's look just like the Beretta's (trunion with pins coming forward instead of a lump and bar), but not as nicely detailed and fit. However, they are servicable. (I wouldn't own one however).

3. Bigcat

Bigcat Active Member

Thanks for the reply's... I got a look at the 101 and it just did not do it for me I was hoping for a little more out of a FN built gun.

4. Har3rdus

Har3rdus Member

Big Cat,

Would you be interested in my Weatherby, O/U, Orion, 12 gauge, 30 inch, 3 inch field gun with two chokes and non descript gun case? It was supposed to be my sporting clays gun, but I have yet to shoot sporting clays or doubles in trap. Go figure? I am looking at $950 shipped from my FFL to your FFL. Paypal is OK for an extra level of safety. Pictures upon request. I am having medical problems right now (right hip replaced) so my response time may be a tad slow. Response to this site with your email and will respond with pictures.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
    Harry in Pa.

5. Bigcat

Bigcat Active Member

Thanks Harry,
    I'm going to look at a Browning White Lightning tomorrow,the dealer says he won't hold it if someone walks in today with cash...we will see?

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a friend who's selling his 20ga 101 on consignment at Great Lakes Sporting Arms. With the exception of a scratch on the stock and a few minor handling marks on the forearm, the gun is like new and has barely been used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
difference between 101 field and trap
winchester 101 club
winchester 101 competition results
winchester 101 field
winchester 101 field for clays
winchester 101 field for trap
winchester 101 for sporting clays

winchester 101 sporting clays