1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

winchester 101 Diamond Trap for Sporting???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Murphy, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Murphy

Murphy Member

I have a 101 Diamond Trap that I purchased recently. I am hoping this will work well as a sporting clays gun. I don't really know the in's and outs of what makes a good sporting clays gun. Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

The only one I ever shot kicked the crap out of me.......Kicked the crap out of it's owner also..

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

As long as the stock fits you it's a great gun for sporting.
    Joe

4. shaggist

shaggist Member

To echo what 'gunfitter' said, it must fit you correctly. The stock dimensions for the 2 I have owned and shot fit me very well and the recoil was no more noticeable than than of my Super X-1 gas gun. Any 12 gauge with incorrect stock dimensions will kick the snot out of you-not just the 101s.
    Jack

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

It will work,..but that upper barrel with the fixed full will be tough going on the close pairs....but if its all for fun ..who cares?

6. Murphy

Murphy Member

This 101 hAS choke tubes so I can use any choke, but was wondering about rib, stock and comb measurements etc.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

that part is no problem..most trapshooters used to a particular gun and POI tend to do best sticking with what they already know how to shoot...going back to shooting a flat shooting dedicated SC gun takes a adjustment period for me after a 90-100% trap model

8. Murphy

Murphy Member

Being that this s a trap gun, it probably shoots high, correct? If so is that good or bad as a sporting clays gun. It also has an adjustable stock, (I've never had one), don't really know the reason for this in a stock, can it be used to chg. how the gun shoots?

9. Thee Craig

Thee Craig Member

guys that shoot SC competitively typically have adjustable/custom stocks. POI i think is personal preference. 28" seems to be the preferred length but it doesnt matter that much either.

10. Murphy

Murphy Member

I was told by the guy I traded for this gun that it shoots 90/10 high?? Don't really know what this means or if thats good or bad for sporting. The guy I bought it from said it would not work for sporting. By the way, my gun does have the adjustable comb if that helps. Damn, there is a lot to learn about guns. I have been shooting for a long time but never had an adjustable comb etc.

11. Murphy

Murphy Member

12. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

If the gun has an adjustable comb & chokes tubes you can probably set it up for sportingclays. 90/10 is high but that's where it shot for the previous owner. Try it on a pattern board & see how it shoots for you. Get a couple IC chokes tubes & maybe a LM & go for it. John

13. Murphy

Murphy Member

Thanks, I will. If the adj. comb is as low as it will go, is there another way to lower the POI to something like 60/40 or 50/50??

14. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Keep in mind that how high the gun shoots is determined by three things: the slope of the rib toward the muzzle, the height of the comb relative to the rib AND, the distance of your cheekbones below your eyes. The last thing differs among shooters and affects how high the same gun will shoot for different shooters because if affects the height of the eye relative to the rib.

Rollin

15. Murphy

Murphy Member

nsguy, Thanks for the input. I actually traded a 686 black onyx 28" sporting model which I never cared for as a favor to a guy who wanted the 686. I figured I could sell it for what I had in it IF, I did not like it. I own many guns but have never had a gun with adj. comb. I appreciate your concern of "messing" with the gun. I will only move the comb and will not alter the gun. If I can't get it right for sporting I will either sell it or keep it for trap. I am still trying to understand and experience the effect of moving the comb etc. Thanks

16. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

When shooting a shotgun, the shooter's eye serves the same purpose as the back sight on a rifle. Move the eye or the back sight and the pattern or bullet's impact moves in the same direction.

How much they move depends on a number of things, the distance to the target, the length of the barrel and the distance the eye or back sight is moved.

Rollin

Search tags for this page

when did winchester make the 101diamond grade trap gun

winchester 101 sporting clay shotgun

winchester 101 sporting for trap