1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Winchester 101 Blow up pic's

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by little gambler, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Hello everyone,

Here are a few pic’s of a Winchester 101 that blew up at my local club last week.

The story: a 16 year old was shooting this gun; he had shot two previous rounds prior to this, reloads sounded fine. Cases were bought from Cabela’s and they were apparently from bunker rounds as they were all stamped “24 gram 7 ½” powder was around 21-22 grains of green dot with 1 1/8 of shot. Winchester primer and AA wad. As he proceeded to shoot his third round, on the first shot he pulled the trigger and heard “click” as he went to put the gun down, muzzle pointed about 22 degrees and the butt just off his shoulder, that’s when it blew up on him. Top barrel was found 20 yards past the trap, rib went approx 100 feet into the air, (approx as in I heard the explosion which sounded like a stick of dynamite, got up off of the bench I was sitting on, took about 3 running steps toward him, all in about 2 seconds, and then the rib landed at my feet so it was damn high in the air) The 16 year old had a bruised up arm, where he was hit by pieces of the forearm, and left side plate of the gun, other than that he had no injuries.

My good friend who was on the post next to him took a piece of the ejector to her leg, it went in and had to be surgically removed and was in the hospital overnight. I think she was more bummed out about missing a dodge ball tournament that anything. She is ready to shoot again this week and is ready to roll back into the action.

Another shooter took the other half of the exact piece that went into her leg to his shoulder and created a baseball sized bruise on his shoulder right where the recoil pad and jacked ended. Thank god nobody was killed in this one. L.g.

2. little gambler

more, as i can't figure out multiple pic's on one post

3. little gambler

4. little gambler

5. little gambler

6. little gambler

7. little gambler

8. little gambler

8 and final

9. nipper

nipper TS Member

that could only be caused by a barrel block,possibly a new style aa base seperation??

bill

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Looks like a first generation new AA?

Great job with the photos LG. That was quite a blow up, glad no one got hurt any worse than they did! That would've been much worse! Hap

I forgot to say, the sound L.G. describes is right on! Sounds more like a dynamite explosion rather than a shotgun blowing up!

11. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Man, that is scary!

Berettaman7

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

This one is easy, way too much chamber pressure. Look at pic #5. You can clearly read the letters left imprinted in the chamber from the ink on the hull. I'm no scientist, but it takes a bit of pressure for ink to imprint hardened steel!

ec90t

13. Superdog1

Superdog1 TS Member

I agree, way too much chamber pressure- but why???

why did the pressure escape through the upper part of the reciever? common sence would say it should have gone out the open part of the barrel( through the forcing cone, and out the choke). something had to stop that shot, and force the explosion out the top of the reciever.

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Superdog1,

Much in the same way an overloaded metallic cartrige will blow up a gun. You think it would push the bullet out instead of blowing the reciever apart.

ec90t

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

All these blow ups because of overloads? I seriously doubt that, remember Bruce Bowen double loading powder charges and blocking the barrel on his H&R?

Possibly a combination of things caused this one to let go? Hap

Read L.G.s words above again. A click,,, nothing happened imeadiately,, till he was taking the gun down? Something was in front of that shell or there wouldn't have been the hesitation.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

21-22 grains of Green Dot is a pretty stout load to begin with. I wonder what other reloads were fired in this gun over the years. It may not have been the last shot fired that was the root cause of the catastrophic failure. Hot loads over time can do some real damage. One odd detail would be the missing crimp folds on the mouth of the hull.

17. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Until some one can prove otherwise ,was this a Winchester AA with the TWO piece hull/base-wad---I have seen the base wad come free several times---I will no longer pick up AA hulls for my friends who like to use them---these pictures should be enough to stop anyone from using these hulls----life & limb, gun value vs a 3-4 cent hull= a no brainer----some traditions are hard to break----go to a one piece hull-----Phil

18. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Several years ago a Rotwell 72AAT blew up at Indiana gun club. The shooter pulled the trigger, heard a click, then a sound like 'pssssssssssss', then the gun blew up. A piece of the mono-block hit the puller in the arm. She recovered ok. No one else was injured.

After it went through several professional hands, Gary Roman being one of them, Gary told me it was determined to be a hang fire. Gun powder is a propellant that requires no oxygen. It is similar to solid rocket fuel in this respect.

The shell that was fired was a reload and it was determined for whatever reason that the powder did not go off when the primer was struck. The primer moved the entire ejecta down the barrel 5 inches when the powder ignited. The power of the propellant along with the extra oxygen in those 5 inches produced tremendus pressure and blew the gun up. That was the determination.

Michael Stephenson

19. yenko

yenko TS Member

i fail to believe that was the cause.powder needs to be compacted with pressure to produce enough energy to discharge shot down the barrel.so that being said if the primer moved wad and shot down the barrel then the powder wasnt under psi and couldnt create that kind of energy.

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

Micheal,
    In your example, was it a reload or factory shell.

I wonder if there is any data that can tell us if these blow ups are being caused primarily with reloads?

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

97 winchester blowing up