1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win101 Diamong Grade Combo, re-work worth it?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jrmb, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrmb

jrmb TS Member

Win101 Diamond Grade Combo, re-work worth it?

I have a 101 DG combo 32/34 unsingle that I shoot a lot and the lever is now on c/l. My question, is this combo worth a total re-work meaning full service, re finnish all wood and checkering, take care a hairline crack in o/u forearm etc..

Is she worth it?

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

If you are going to keep it and shoot it, I would say yes. If you are going to sell it, I doubt you would recoup your investment in bringing it back to like new condition. Bill Malcolm

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I would redo it just because its a Winchester...which none of us will probably (barring a miracle, never see produced again..shoot it a little and hang onto it..

4. BP348

BP348 Active Member

What would it cost to have it rebuilt?

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

CalvinMD, keep in mind that is was a " Winchester" that was made in Japan. As the other guy said, If you are going to sell it don't bother as it will cost more then it's worth. If you want to keep shooting it then have the work done. I suspect you won't be able to buy a Diamond grade for what it will cost you to rebuild it.Jeff

6. oganza

oganza TS Member

Check with Midwest gun works, they still sell the rebuilt kits for Winchester 101's. I think they are $125. It includes the moving locking block, firing pins, springs and beads. The wear on the locking block is what causes the lever to move to the left. They will do the work as well. I would think that the kit and the work would cost $350 or less.
    http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/PROD/winchester-model-101-factory-part-kits/RBD101-12

7. jrmb

jrmb TS Member

Thanks everyone. I like the gun but I haven't shot any higher grade guns like Perazzi, Kguns etc.... I have just under 2k invested in the DG101 combo with a Hydeal system and 3x Wrights chokes, like I said it's a really nice combo but prob not worth the investment to really dress it up. I always find myself dreaming on Joel Etchens & Hi-Grade websites. Thanks agian-

8. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Locking block and shoot it, enjoy. It` every bit as nice and as good as the $$$ guns.

9. jrmb

jrmb TS Member

Thanks Ducati, I'll most likley buy a rebuild kit from midwest and find a gunsmith here on the east coast or new england area. Anyone out there know a good guy to perform this work on Winchesters? Thanks all-

10. BP348

BP348 Active Member

$350 for the kit and the work seems like a pretty good deal.

I may have to buy a kit just to have it.

11. jrmb

jrmb TS Member

yea that sounds pretty good, has anyone had anyone work performed by Midwest??? I'm thinking of sending it to Phillips Gunsmithing as he sounds like a top notch guy.

12. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

I have 2 at skeets gun shop now I will let you know what they cost there to rebuild as soon as I get the bill. Dan

13. jrmb

jrmb TS Member

Thanks Dan-

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hi Jeff..yeah I know they were made across the pond but I can't help but have a soft spot for anything carrying the name and knowing we'll only see it on ammo and powder, and even that, for how long? I hate seeing Icons pass away...Winchester, Plymouth, Oldsmobile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.