1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win WST reload - looking for an explanation

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 45er, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 45er

45er TS Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Got ahold of some AST powder and decided to reload some 1 0Z shells with a published load - 1 Win. 209 WST 20.0 Fed. 12S0 1235 8,900 PSI . Got this off of the website: http://www.wwpowder.com/data/shotshell/12gacaseremsts.php

I tried this load in Win. AA HS and 'old style' AA's and in Remington STS's. I made sure I had enough wad pressure to seat the wad well, but not crush it. I also double checked the powder drop to make sure it was right on the nose. In EVERY case, the hull capacity was not enough to enable a good crimp. All of them unfolded after being removed from the reloader.

I usually load my 1 oz load with Clays and Windjammer wads, so I held the Windjammer and the Fed 12SO wads together to compare them. The base of the Federal wad was at least 1/16th of an inch longer, which explains why the hull capacity is reduced. But, I can't find a published load for Win. WST powder and a Windjammer wad. My guess is that I could substitute the Windjammer for the Fed. 12SO, but you don't "guess" in the reloading game!

Anyone have any ideas what's up with this recipe? I can't believe the Winchester site publishes a load that won't crimp.

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    I use the old AA hull with the fed. 12SO, 1 oz shot, win 209, and 18 gr WST and the crimp is fine. Got the load from the Lyman #4 reloading manual.
  3. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    It is the same deal with the 1 oz wincester wad, lousy crimps. WST not so great in 1 ounce loads in my opinion, powder is too bulky. Get some Red Dot for 1 oz. and use the WST for 1 1/8.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.