1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win. wads ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

OK Guys help me out. What is the differance except color ? WAA12 and WT12
    I want to load them in the old type AA hull 1 1/8 oz. Thanks Butch H

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the WAA12 is made from virgin plastic and the WT12 is made from reclaimed plastic. The WT12 is slippery to the touch and goes into tight hulls a lot easier than the WAA12 wad. I can see no difference in performance. HMB

3. Piper Mac

Piper Mac Member

I experienced problems with the orange wt's in cold weather, below freezing, but otherwise, no difference in performance..........
    This was when they first came out, though, and they may have improved since then....

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I don't know a lot about it but I have been using 19.3 gr of green dot with the orange wad and one oz of 8's in new and old AA all the way back to the fence with good results. Jackie B.

5. CMT605

CMT605 TS Member

I always thought the wt12 was a direct replacement for the aa12. I loaded them the same forever. Aliants web site says aa hull, aa12 wad, 18 grns reddot, win 209 primer, and 1 1/8 oz shot is 1200 fps. Wt12 wad, aa hull, win 209 primer, 1 1/8 oz shot and 17 grns reddot is 1200 fps. I thought this was odd so I called them and asked about it. They told me this was correct and the way it worked out when they tested the loads.
    Mike

6. gordy h

gordy h Member

OK thanks guys, now any thoughts on the 2 types of Claybusters? Butch H

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Butch H:

Prior to the introduction of the WT-12, Winchester was getting it's butt kicked by manufacturers of WAA12 clones. The introduction of the WT-12 was a marketing ploy to allow Winchester to sell a 'lower priced original' wad (thus to compete on price) without discounting their other wads.

I'm not sure what you mean by "2 types of Claybusters". Just in 12 gauge, Claybuster makes clones of Winchester, Federal, and Remington wads for one ounce and ounce and an eighth applications. They're all good. So are their proprietary non-clone wads.

sissy

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Piper Mac described the major difference. The WT-12 wads preform very inconsistently at colder temperatures.

Pat Ireland

9. KaboK80

KaboK80 TS Member

Pat, I have heard some people think the WT-12 doesn't perform well do to recycled plastic being used. I have been using only this wad for at least the last 10 years. I have had zero problems with them summer or winter and I know I live further north than you . I load about 20,000 of them a year between me and my better half. I load 17.5 grs. of clays in STS hulls with 1&1/8 oz. of shot with a win. 209 primer. Velosity stays around 1180 fps plus or minus 15-20. If anyone has any they are unsure of I will gladly take any you do not want and recycle them for you through my gun. Really I see nothing wrong with these wads so if you want to save some money on wads, give them a try.

Robert Malmstedt

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Robert- I do have some but have not used them for quite a while. My statement about inconsistent performance at lower temperatures is form data I got from the Alliant plant. They chronographed them and tested chamber pressure at low temperatures, and the results were not favorable. They work fine at warmer temperatures.

They are not made with recycled plastic. They simply use a mixture with less plasticizer in it. This makes them a little stiffer.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

win wad winchester

win wads