1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WIN WAA12 vs Claybuster WAA12 wad Input needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pullbangloss, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Loaded up some experimental shells using Super Handicap powder. Turned out to be a nice shell but had a little kick at first. My load was 20.1 grains, Win Primer, Win WAA12 wad, 1 1/8 shot. Chrono was 1266 fps - 1280 fps on three seperate loads.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Claybuster replacement WAA12 wad. Any less recoil? Cheaper in price?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Ski

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yeah, I'll bet that load did smack a bit!

The CB-1118 is a WAA12 clone, but is not a dimensionally exact duplicate.

CB are considerably cheaper than OEM Win wads, and will fit your AA-HS hulls just fine.

If you want to back-off that drop to 19½gn, that is a box-duplicate of the AA 3dram Hcp bullet.

Bob

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

That's a little stout for my preferences, but to each their own. The difference I've noticed between the Claybuster Clones and the OEM Winchester WAA12 is cost and cold weather performance. The OEM will usually cost more. When the shot counts, I'll spend the money on quality components. I get a little better consistency from the OEM wads. Some people get some plastic fouling from the Claybusters. You can't really say a wad has much to do with recoil, unless there is a considerable difference in weight or velocity. 1250+ will kick like 1250+. I can't tell any difference in recoil between wads or powder, given the same weight of shot and velocity. Some people claim they can, but I'm not one of them.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A lot cheaper, and work fine. I use to not like Claybusters, because of bent petals. But, they have improved the plastic (thicker & stronger) and packaging, and I see very few if any bent petals anymore.

5. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I use 7/8oz CB wads for the price and they do load fine. But, I do get alot of bent petals and a huge increase in plastic fouling. Other than OEM, Downrange makes a really nice wad and I have not seen the amount of fouling and very few bent petals. On the flip side, if I don't seat the DR wad just right I get a bad crimp. I've only had this with the 7/8oz wads, the 1 1/8oz DR wads load perfectly and no fouling.

Hal Hitchcock

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Matt, there is no difference in recoil between the two wads, and Yes the Claybusters are cheaper and just as good. As said you might try to slow down your load there abit for your handicap shells, or are these for some real long range Annie loads? Anyway its your choice. Break-em all. Jeff

7. pullbangloss

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I shoot the new Super Handicaps for registered (27 yards) and was looking to duplicate it for the games (Calcutta protections, annies, etc.) in order to save a little cash.

Heading back to the chrono this week and will be trying a little less shot. Right now it's a heavy 1 1/8 so I'm thinking that might be my issue. Also going to try some loads around 19.6 ish.

Thanks again guys.

Matt Ski

8. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

try Downrange's Versalite wad super slick plastic and the petals are just stiff enough to stay straight. I just picked up another 10,000 from Kevin at the grand it is the only 1-1/8oz wad I'll use, FYI loading on a Dillon XL900 and using 19.3gr of International powder in STS greens and Gold Nitro Hulls, at 1200ish FPS

9. fishguts

fishguts Member

Matt, are you getting any sunken in or dished crimps with that loading...

Wayne Meyers

10. pullbangloss

Wayne,

No I'm not. The load works well and the shells are pretty. Todd gave me a few tips as he tried them some months back.

1) Wad pressure at 40. I haven't had to load that much pressure. I'm around 30-35.

2) The inital crimp station (after the shot drops w/wad) needs to almost completely seal. Basically, there should be no hole in the middle, all the pedals should meet in the center.

Luckily for me I didn't have to do any great deal of adjusting my loader.

Hope this helps Wayne. Like I said, they hit targets hard but I need to back off on the shot a little. My cheeks still have baby fat left on them.

Matt

11. lostandout

lostandout Member

i think thats porkchop fat

12. 1881home

1881home TS Member

I've loaded both and have found, like others, more plastic buildup in the barrel with the Claybusters. I use Winchesters pink 1 ounce wad in the new style WW hull. They have a lead in taper and I feel that Winchester knows for sure, what they are doing with the design of the wad. I'm not saying that Claybuster does not, but that I personally, feel safer using the OEM wad and that I have less plastic buildup in the barrel with the OEM wad. I've been loading 1 ounce in the new style WW hull for years with no problems.

13. fishguts

fishguts Member

Thanks Matt, I'll lower my crimp starter until theres no hole in the middle. I'm loading: 20.5grs.AA S/HDCP, 1oz. Downrange wad (neon green) and 1 1/8TH. #7's for games. If I use a WW or Claybuster 1 1/8th. wad my crimps dish in...

Wayne

14. pullbangloss

Hope that works out Wayne.

Matt Ski

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
clay buster wad vs winchester
claybuster cb1118-12
claybuster waa12
claybuster wads cb1118