1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win Sx3 ??NEW INFO

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

At my hunting club there are 6 of us that all bought Win Sx3 and all of them shoot 8 to 12" high at 45 yds using OO buck 3 1/2" Rem shells---They all pattern great with most of the 18 pellets in a 20x20x inch target.We have all tried different chokes and still find them shooting high---We then tried using Win shells and still same problem----Most of our shots are at running deer and we don't miss too many but not happy with the high inpact---All sighting in is done by bench rest position.

I have a Rem 1187 3 1/2" and it is right on at same 45 yds

Just wondering why----Any thoughts appreciated

NEW INFO-------

I called Winchester---They claim the SX3 was designed to shoot HIGH at 40 yds
    The shim won't make much difference---They claim it will help while shooting at your game,just hold aim at 6 0-clock on target---Try that at a deer going 40 MPH----When I lower my eyes or push down on stock all I see is hump of receiver----I bought the gun to use 3 1/2 OO buck---Can't use that load to try to sight in for POI----Win said to use 7 1/2 loads that will give the same pattern results as the heavy load----

Sorry I bought the SX3----My super mag 1187 puts OO buck at 45 yds right on middle of tgt it's just 2 lbs heavier---

2. Garry

Garry Active Member

My Winchester SX3 synthetic came with a shim kit to change the amount of drop and cast. Within limits, I can can lower or raise the point of impact by changing the drop and cast shims.

I like my hunting guns to have a 50/50 POI and out of the box the POI was high so I changed shims to add more drop in the stock until I achieved a 50/50 POI.

I was thinking that all SX3 models with synthetic stocks came from the factory with the shim kit. SX3 with wood stocks did not have the shim kit.

If yours is a wood stock, you will need to lower height of the comb. I use a wood rasp.

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Garry---I have the shim kit but the directions only seem to try to get my sight picture to look down bbl(rib) which mine does when I mount the gun.Which way do you go to get the 50/50 POI if it's shooting high ?----George

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Lower the stock or comb....

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks---Will give it a try----SJB

6. 527varmint

527varmint Member

Yeah, just lower the comb or push your face down harder. You just need to get your eye lower.

7. EvansK

EvansK Member

Hi George. My Win SX2 shoots even higher than yours. Contact Browning for the shims, or do like I did & get a Hi-Viz. The magnetic base just clicks on & you're good to go.
    EvansK

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Top for NEW INFO----SJB

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I was thinking that the SX3 would make a great trap gun with the natural high POI----Anyone out there use them for trap??? SJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to add shims sx-3
poi for winchester sx3
sx3 poi
winchester sx3 poi
winchester sx3 shim kit

winchester sx3 shoots high

winchester sx3 stock shims
winchester sx3 stock spacers