1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win. Super X2 trigger pull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EvansK, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvansK

EvansK Member

I'm starting this thread in the hope that some of our experienced shooters can offer me some advice. I've owned a Winchester Super X2 for several years. I bought it new & have only fired about a hundred rounds through it. I clean the gun after each outing. The trigger pull is heavy and mus-hie. Not at all like the the Super X1 which has quite a following here. The weapon performs flawlessly otherwise. The action is very quick, and the gas action soaks up some of the recoil. Is there anything that can be done to improve the trigger pull. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith that has worked on these.Thanks.
    Evans

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Where do you live??

Tom Strunk

3. EvansK

EvansK Member

Tom, I'm in Central Florida.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

SuperX-2's have a very straight forward trigger design. I would tend to think any of the better gunsmiths out there should be able to clean it up for you. You might want to talk to Paul's Gunsmithing in Minnisota or Stu Wright in Illinois and see if they can help.

ss

5. Tom Strunk

I would call people like Tom "the stock shop" Larkin, Phillip's Gunsmithing, Bolsa Gunsmithing in SoCal, Kerry Allor, Wright's and Allem's and see if you can just remove the trigger and then send it to one of these fine gunsmiths.

These models have not gained much popularity for trap shooting, do you use it for hunting ?? Trigger and stock (gunfit) are two of the most important parts to shooting well.

Best of luck ----

Tom Strunk

6. EvansK

EvansK Member

Hi Tom,
    I bought this gun for hunting. All the metal parts have a parkerized -like finish & the stock is synthetic. The climate here in Florida is hard on guns due to the high humidity. Like lots of things concerning shotguns, it seemed like a good idea at the time of purchase.
    Evans

7. Tom Strunk

Good, you bought it for what it was intended. Get the trigger work done and you will shoot it a lot better. My bird guns have a trigger pull of about 3 1/2 lbs., with almost no creep. Be sure to step off about 25 yards and with the full choke installed, shoot at a piece of cardboard with a large + in the center. Now shoot at least five times at the center of the + this will tell you where the gun shoots.

Tom

8. EvansK

EvansK Member

To all those who took the time to help me with their suggestions, a hearty thank-you. I've just started trap, so I spend most nights just reading all these great threads. I've learned so much. You all are great. Evans

9. EvansK

EvansK Member

Thanks Pat. I measured the weight on the trigger pull & it consistently measures over 7 lbs. It is as if the trigger was designed by an attorney & not an engineer. This shotgun held some promise, but Winchester failed to do somethings which would have made it better. The gun shoots way high with its' 26" barrel. While the X3 has spacers that fit between the receiver & the butt-stock, so that you can regulate the POI, the X2 does not & worst still, the X3 spacers don't fit the X2. Guys, correct me if I'm wrong on the last point. I finally corrected the POI issue by going to a Hi Viz. Evans

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Actually, the sporting version of the SX-2 has the stock adjustability that you describe. The stock is different from the standard SX-2 though.

If I ever find one of these that reliably feed the second shell, I'm going to buy it.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.