1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Win says X3 is "world's fastest shotgun"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Win says X3 is

If Winchester is correct, they've managed to make a shotgun that cycles faster than a Benelli. That's a tall order. it will be interesting to see if tactical shooters embrace it, because the Benelli, though having a reputation for reliability and speed, is recoil operated, and has more felt recoil than a gas automatic.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Win says X3 is

I thought the fastest was the old Winchester Model 12 pump shotgun. 9 clay targets thrown in the air by hand and all broken before hitting the ground. HMB

3. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Win says X3 is

That's funny. They ALL cycle about 350 rounds per minute - about the same as an M-3 grease gun. That includes the 1100.

There really isn't a difference among the semis. The Benelli is NOT noticeably faster than a Beretta or a Remington 1100 for that matter.

I will mention what does make a difference for most of us - felt recoil and shot to shot recovery. For me, that means the 1100 is king of the hill.

I have shot five rounds from an 1100 so quickly people around me thought I had fired three or four. I can put pattern after pattern on the same spot. I cannot do that with a Benelli, a Beretta, a Browning Gold, or a Win S-X2.
    (I have not shot the Win SX3)I have seen the Patrick Flanigan video and concluded, there really is no difference in cyclic functioning among any of those 12 ga semis. They all are operating a similar mass of parts, with similar powered shells that are overcoming similar resistance and time to cycle.

4. KRE

KRE TS Member

Win says X3 is

The fastest I every worked (shot) was a Remington 7188 that the unit armor worked over. It was much faster than 350 rpm, by the way.

The 7188 was never in the civi world that I know of, but many of you know it's semi brother, the Remington 1100. The 7188 was a full auto version, for select units back when. Do a search.

Kenneth

5. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Win says X3 is

The slowest-shooting autoloader is still faster than the fastest trigger finger in this forum.
    It's called "marketing for the masses."

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Win says X3 is

You better watch the clip before you comment. It's fast, but balance and target alignment means more than speed for the average joe.

7. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Win says X3 is

I believe its the shooter and not the gun. Tom Knapp has disputed Mr. flannigans record also.

8. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Win says X3 is

So what if the new gun is the fastest. Does it really matter? Look for reliability and not speed when purchasing a new gun. And, by the way, the post model 70's did not look as good as the pre-64s but they were substantially more accurate and got a bad rap for being second rate.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Win says X3 is

"My old Model 50 Winchester has always been fast enough for me..and will be alive and well.. when all this new stuff has long been dead.. All Good.. Mike"

I don't know if the new kids on the block are any faster than the mod.50 spewing out accurately aimed shots either. They are quick with less felt recoil too! Hap

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Win says X3 is

Mike, Why would a model 50 seem to kick so hard as to rattle the filling's in my teeth? The gun is a 28 inch field gun ,plain barrel, with a 28 inch Modified. Now.. It has no recoil pad but in spite of that it did seem to kick every bit as hard as a fixed breech gun. Could there be something wrong with the mechanics of this gun that could be causing this? Jeff

11. Hap MecTweaks

Win says X3 is

Jeff, it may be the action return spring is worn or set from age. Being out of time allows the bolt to slam the back of the receiver pretty hard too. Wolf makes a heavy duty spring for these and they're a better spring than factory originals were. Hap

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Win says X3 is

Steve, that's my thought exactly. Even though the Benelli is faster, the 1187 is more controllable, making follow up shots easier, and, for me, faster.

[​IMG]<br>
    </br>

The two holes here are slugs from my 1187. This was on a coyote running full speed sideways to me at 50 feet. Once a coyote kicks into gear, you need accuracy and speed.

Tactical shooters also want fast shotguns. The Benelli has been the king of the heap for many, but the 1100/1187 is more controllable, even with low recoil buckshot and slugs. Tactical shooters are running against the clock, so speed is important in these games. Especially for bowling pin shoots. The very best use the Benelli, because they can make use of that little bit of extra speed. The Benelli and 1100/1187 have a proven track record of reliability in this sport. (For those who don't know what a bowling pin shoot is, the pins are lined up across a table, and you compete to shoot them off as fast as possible. The pins must be knocked completely off the table, and, again, you're running against the clock. If a pin does not clear the table, you must be able to hit it again quickly. Most shooters will double tap the last pin to accelerate it even more. It's not as easy as it sounds. Speed and accuracy rule.)

13. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

Win says X3 is

who cares ?

14. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Win says X3 is

There isn't much difference in the cyclic rate of the full auto experimental 1100 derivative, and the regular, semi auto 1100. A well trained shooter can shoot the 1100 practically as fast as the full auto one could cycle.

The Winchester Model 12 pump was faster than ALL of them!

A 10 rd extension mag on a 30" bbl with 12-pellet 00-buck inside 35 yards, the shotgun: pump or semi auto makes a sub gun look lacking. They're all awesome close range guns. Besides, sub guns can't shoot SLUGS - now we're talkin!

15. Hap MecTweaks

Win says X3 is

Richard, I don't know if they have 1100 springs or not, check out the link above. Hap

16. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

Win says X3 is

I've timed the Benelli/Beretta recoil actions and the Remington and Beretta gas guns, and there is no question that the recoil actions are faster between shots. This timing was done in relation to pin shoots mentioned above.

The results were consistent and reproducible.

My 870 is faster than the gas guns, but I can't match the Benelli.

17. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Win says X3 is

Best I could do with a Benelli M1 Super 90 was 8 shots in .97 seconds but that's been a few years ago when I was younger too. I had a SX2 Practical a couple of years ago and I think the possible extra speed came from the fact that the gun had a lot of forward weight but it's cyclic was everything the Benelli's is. It was easier to keep on target but harder to push from target to target due to the extra weight over the Benelli.

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Win says X3 is

.97 seconds???????????? !!!!!

19. KRE

KRE TS Member

Win says X3 is

PerazziBigBore

The Remington 7188 that was Issued to me had a std 1100 bolt assy that had been modifided, but it was "NOT" a bolt that turned into place. When we field stripped the weapon the only difference we could find between it and another std 1100 that was fielded with us as well, was infact, the trigger assy.

I am by no means a weapon expert on these or alot of others for that matter, but I did/do know how the systems worked that my life and others depended upon. That weapon and others were not my back yard as you say, they were my ticket home, as long as I employied them correctly. YMMV

Kenneth

20. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Win says X3 is

Yes, he fired 12 shots in 1.442 seconds.
    But, did he hit anything??
    Methinks not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.